Information Systems Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Information systems managers require a fair amount of formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and job opportunities to see if this is the right career for you.
Information systems managers are business executives who both manage and implement computer and information technology (IT) systems. They act as the liaison between an organization's top management and IT specialists. The job outlook for these managers is strong, as organizations are looking to technology to improve productivity and organization.
|Required Education||Bachelor's degree|
|Other Education||Master of Business Administration|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||15%|
|Average Salary (2013)*||$132,570|
Source:*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Job Description of the Information Systems Manager
As a high-level executive, the information systems (IS) manager is in charge of computer- and technology-related research, development and productivity of business firms. They manage the work of other IT professionals, like computer engineers, systems analysts, data security specialists and computer support specialists. They frequently work directly under the chief operating officer.
Information systems managers can find work at any type of for-profit or non-profit organization. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the majority of these executives are employed in the computer systems and software design industries (www.bls.gov). The BLS also reports that most information systems managers made from $76,420 to more than $187,199 per year as of 2013. The BLS projects a job growth rate of 15 percent for these professionals between 2012 and 2022.
The IS manager must have a keen understanding of the technological and organizational needs of their company. They are frequently charged with researching and implementing ways that technology and network-based systems can increase company organization and productivity. They must also stay up-to-date with current and emerging technology and computing trends.
The day-to-day duties of IS managers include the top-level planning and coordination of:
- Hardware and software installation and upgrades
- Implementation and programming of computer networks and software
- Development of private intranet and public Internet sites
- Personnel equipment requirements
- Digital security
Typically, companies look for candidates with both a four-year undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field and a Master of Business Administration degree (MBA). Bachelor's degrees in computer science require courses in programming, mathematics and statistics, in addition to general education requirements. Most MBA programs take two years to complete and require a bachelor's degree. They train the student in fields like finance, management, e-commerce and accounting.
There are some information systems degree programs in business schools that allow the student to learn the fundamentals of computer science and programming while earning an MBA degree. These programs, often referred to as management or business information systems programs, are ideal for those without a prior background in information technology or systems.
Related to Information Systems Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Computer information systems managers require a significant amount of formal education. Learn more about the degree programs...
Learn how to become an information systems security manager. Research the education requirements, training information and...
Still deciding on a career path? How does 'Manager of Innovation' sound? Education-Portal.com recently caught up with Daisy...
Commercial excavation managers require little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties, and certification...
- Movie Theater Manager: Career and Salary Information
- Info About Becoming a Travel Agent
- Quality Assurance Manager: Occupational Outlook & Career Profile
- Top School in Atlanta Offering Security Professional Training
- Top Ranked Nursing Degree Programs - Oklahoma City, OK
- Top School with Web Design Degree Programs - Portland, OR
- Top School in Atlanta for a Master's in Accounting & Financial Management
- Become a Chemical Plant Manager: Education and Career Roadmap
- Information Systems Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Aviation Data Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Outlook
- Branding Consultant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Photographer Training: Top Ranked Photography School - Philadelphia, PA