Information Systems: Vocational School Diploma Overview
Learn about information systems. Get information about diploma programs, course requirements and career prospects to make an informed decision about your future.
Information Systems Diploma Programs
Information systems diploma programs are designed to prepare students for careers in the information technology (IT) industry. These curricula provide students with a strong foundation in security systems, computer programming and e-commerce. Diploma programs can usually be achieved in two years but some schools may allow students several years to complete them. Some programs may prepare students for certain certifications. For acceptance into a program, applicants typically need a high school diploma or its equivalent.
These curricula give students a broad understanding of subjects critical to information systems, such as web design and development, operating systems and network administration. In addition to the information systems coursework, supporting courses like communications and algebra may be required. Possible course topics may include:
- Hardware and software essentials
- Computer networking fundamentals
- Network security
- Financial accounting for information systems
- Data communications
- Software development
- Application of wireless and mobile networks
Popular Career Options
The growth of the IT industry should provide job opportunities to those with the proper education. Upon completion of a program, students should be qualified entry-level employment in a variety of roles. Some possible career options include:
- Security specialist
- Database administrator
- Security analyst
- Technical support specialist
- Security technician
Once an individual has completed a diploma program, they may consider completing a degree program. Some leadership positions may require applicants to have a degree. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), some positions, like network and computer systems administrators or managers, may require applicants have at least a bachelor's degree (www.bls.gov). The BLS also indicates that certifications offered through vendors or professional organizations may give individuals an advantage when looking for work.
Related to Information Systems: Vocational School Diploma Overview
- Recently Updated
The field of information systems requires professionals with the ability to blend technology and management. Graduates...
Students interested in preparing for entry-level positions in the field of information systems may consider completing...
With a bachelor's degree in information systems, students understand how to manage information networks and databases....
A Master of Science in Information Systems allows students to further develop the skills needed to create and...
- Associate of Network & Information Systems Technology: Degree Overview
- Associate of Information Systems Technology: Software Engineer Degree Overview
- Master of Information Systems: Information Systems Management Degree Overview
- Top Ranked School for Health Sciences and Health Administration - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Program - Phoenix, AZ
- Best Degree Programs for Architecture and Architectural Drafting - Denver, CO
- Top International Business Management Degree Program - Kansas City, MO