Jobs in Agribusiness: Career Options and Requirements
Agribusiness jobs traditionally focus on the agricultural industry but currently span a variety of career arenas. Agribusiness is separated from traditional business due to its agriculture specialization. Advanced education is becoming an increasingly common necessity to gain entry into agribusiness career options.
Agribusiness Career Options
There are a variety of career options available in agribusiness. These options are often similar to any business related careers but with an agricultural focus. Agribusiness careers can cross into a multitude of industries as well, including farming, real estate, retail marketing, food processing and investments, just to name a few. Some of the most common career options available include:
- Farm appraiser - assesses the value of a farm, its employees and facilities
- Agricultural policy analyst - develops and analyzes policies that affect agricultural businesses
- Farm manager - manages daily operations of a farm, including crops and livestock
- Crop producer - grows grains, field crops, vegetables, fruits, nuts and more
- Grain and livestock buyer - buys supplies of grains, seeds and cattle for a farm's operations
- Market analyst - analyzes the financial condition of the agribusiness economic market
- Financer - provides financial assistance for agribusiness, such as matching crop suppliers with farms
- Quality controller - focuses on improving the output and quality of a farm's production
- Marketing head - leads marketing strategy for a farm; builds awareness and buzz
Agribusiness Education Requirements
Not all career options in agribusiness require an education, such as becoming a traditional farmer. However, due to shifts in the business culture and scientific implementation in agribusiness as a whole, formal education is quickly becoming the standard to gain entry into most related occupations. Education coupled with experience in an area of the industry in which a student would like to work should provide the best opportunities for employment and advancement. Some of the following degree options are strong choices to enter into any number of agribusiness careers.
Associate of Applied Science in Agribusiness
These 2-year degree programs prepare students for entry-level career options in agricultural industries. An Associate of Applied Science will provide an overview of agricultural topics, and courses generally are transferable to bachelor's degree programs. Common courses include:
- Agricultural accounting
- Livestock management
- Farming business
Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness
These 4-year degree programs include all general education requirements and provide specific focus to topics in agricultural business. Some common courses offered are:
- Agricultural economics
- Agribusiness management
- Farm product marketing
Master of Agribusiness
These are advanced 2-year degree programs that require a related undergraduate degree for entry. Common courses at the graduate level include:
- Agribusiness international marketing
- Agribusiness public policy
- Financial agricultural management
Salary and Job Outlook
Employment of farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers is projected to see a 19% decline over the 2012-2022 decade, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports that the decline in this field is due in part to the increasing expense of farming supplies and equipment. In May 2012, the BLS reported that farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers made a median annual salary of $69,300.
Related to Jobs in Agribusiness: Career Options and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Learn about the top universities offering agribusiness degree programs. See school rankings, degree options and school...
The field of agribusiness is varied, covering everything from the sales of farm equipment to the management of international...
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) program focusing on agribusiness can teach students how to participate in and advance...
Many schools in the Philadelphia, PA, area have top ranking business programs. Read on to find out what one of these top...
- Business: Coursework Summary
- Rankings: Best Business Schools
- Top Schools for Business and Commerce
- How to Use Education Portal to Flip Your Classroom
- Radiologic Technician Certification Information
- Career Information for Medical Receptionist Degree or Certification
- Nursing Home Administrator License and Credential Information