LCP: Becoming a Linux Certified Professional
In the field of technology, becoming a Linux certified professional can set you apart from the other professionals. Read this article for further detailed information about obtaining Linux certification.
What is a Linux Certified Professional (LCP)?
Linux is an open source operating system based on UNIX that is used to run web servers. A Linux certified professional is an information technology specialist who has taken exams to prove his or her proficiency in Linux. As Linux increases in popularity among companies, it can be helpful to become a certified professional since certification provides additional credibility when applying for a position.
Sample Curriculum of a Linux Certification Program:
Linux certification programs can vary depending on the level of certification and provider of the program. Here is a course list from a program hosted by IBM, www.ibm.com:
- Linux Fundamentals
- Basic Administration
- Intermediate Administration
- Advanced Administration
- Compiling Sources and Managing Packages
- Configuring and Compiling the Kernel
- USB, Secure Shell, and File Sharing
This course list is specifically from the Linux LPI Level 1 Certification program from IBM. When choosing a program, students should look for programs that meet their skill levels. It isn't practical to enroll for a certification program that is too advanced.
Job and Salary Information:
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, the job outlook for computer and information systems managers is expected to be very good. Jobs in this field are anticipated to increase faster than most other careers.
In 2004, these professionals had a median annual salary of $92,570, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
(Information about computer and information systems managers was used in lieu of information about Linux certified professionals because the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics did not have any specific information about LCPs.)
Related to LCP: Becoming a Linux Certified Professional
- Recently Updated
See our list of the top free online Linux courses. Learn what courses are available and what topics they cover to find...
Learn Linux programming with these free online courses, tutorials and learning options. See the full list of free...
Linux is an open source operating system that is seen as the main alternative to the proprietary Unix and Microsoft...
Linux courses and training programs are offered in online, hybrid and on-campus format. As a leading operating system,...
- MIT Department Helps Faculty Connect Innovation and Technology
- Maybe Technology in Schools Isn't the Answer
- Too Much Technology?
- Top Ranked Graphic Design and Animation Degree Programs - New York, NY
- Top Ranked Business Marketing Degree Program - Houston, TX
- Top University for a Degree in Public Administration - Henderson, NV
- Best Psychology Degree Programs - Albuquerque, NM
- On College Campuses, Technology Is Moving Fast
- CompTIA Linux+ Certification: Program Overview
- Top Ranked International Business and Global Economics Degree Programs - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Surgical Technology School - Cincinnati, OH
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ