List of Free Grant Writing Courses and Training Programs
See our list of the top free online grant writing courses and training programs. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
5 Easy Steps to Earn Credit for Online Courses
Some online courses lead to college credit that is accepted at over 2,900 colleges. You may be able to earn transferable credit for some of the courses discussed in this article as well as for over 30 of Education Portal's courses. Here's how:
1. Choose a course that prepares you for a credit-granting exam. Credit-granting exams are the fastest way to earn college credit - just take a test and earn credit when you pass! But first, you have to prepare. Taking online courses is the most efficient and affordable way to prepare for a credit-granting exam. Make sure to check with your college to ensure that the credits will be accepted.
2. Take a course. By learning online, you could be ready for your exam in under two weeks. You can also study at your own pace and around your own schedule.
3. Register for your exam. Registering is easy - just find a test center near you to schedule your exam. Many students schedule their exam just a week or so in advance for maximum flexibility. Click here to find a test center.
4. Take your exam. Most exams are just a few hours long, and you'll get your results immediately!
5. Transfer your credit. Many schools accept transfer credit for multiple exams, which means you could cut the cost of a degree by up to 50%.
Although this process isn't free, it's much more affordable than attending a traditional college - you could save over 80% compared to a traditional course! Click here to choose one of Education Portal's courses for credit and get started today.
Free Online Grant Writing Course Information
Students who want to learn about grant writing can access free online classes offered through numerous colleges and institutions. In general, the classes, training manuals and guidelines teach you how to write grants that benefit services organizations and research institutes. The classes do not award credit and students are able to work at their own pace. As part of the classes, you'll have access to assignments, such as essays and projects. The manuals and guides offer examples, writing tips and contact information for future grant writers.
Advanced Writing Seminar at MIT
The Advanced Writing Seminar class is a graduate-level course that gives students the opportunity to learn about various writing styles. Notes from five lectures are provided, one of which is devoted entirely to writing grant proposals. Assignments are described and videos of several student presentations are available for download.
Although focused largely on scientific topics, one component of this graduate-level course focuses on teaching students about grant proposals. The online materials include a 15-page PDF on the grant application process, and the list of related resources provides links to sites such as the National Institutes of Health's funding opportunities page.
The Art of Writing Proposals from the Social Science Research Council
The Art of Writing Proposals is designed for those interested in learning about the grant process as it relates to the social sciences. The online guide gives an overview of what grants are and offers tips for ways to make grants stand out.
Grant Writing Tutorial from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency/Purdue University
This tutorial helps members of nonprofit organizations learn the basics of grant writing, including how the grant process works and how to seek funding. The entire tutorial is online and allows students to see examples of grants and to compare their own mock grant proposals to the sample provided. There is also a glossary of terms that include environmental words and key phrases to help with the grant writing process.
Guide for Writing a Funding Proposal at Michigan State University
This online resource includes a complete breakdown of the grant proposal process. Students are able to see writing tips and examples for each part of a proposal, including the introduction, project proposal and evaluation sections.
An Introduction to Grant Writing at the University of Pittsburgh
An Introduction to Grant Writing is an online guide that covers 16 steps in the grant writing process. The guide offers a breakdown and tips for each part of the grant proposal. There are also examples throughout the guide designed to help writers.
Intro to Tech Communication at MIT
This undergraduate class at MIT teaches students how to write reports, literature reviews and research papers. There is also attention given to assembling grant proposals for research. The free online information from this course provides an extensive list of outside reading materials focused on writing for scientific pursuits. No lecture notes are shared online, but the related resources page includes several links to other grant writing references.
Proposal Writing Short Course from the Foundation Center
This course gives a general overview of the grant writing process and allows writers to go through a step-by-step process to create a grant application. The materials describe the components of a grant proposal: the executive summary, statement of need, project description, budget, organization information and conclusion. The class is designed to help nonprofit organizations that rely on outside funding to pay for operations and costs. By the end of the short online class, writers will generate a grant letter proposal requesting money.
Quick Guide for Grant Applicants from the National Institutes of Health
Students can turn to this quick guide to get a general overview on the grant writing process from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The guide is designed specifically for people who are interested in applying for a grant through the NIH. It includes step-by-step instructions and recommendations for the entire proposal process.
Most of the courses discussed in this article were not designed specifically for online learners. You can save time and have more fun learning with engaging video courses. Browse Education Portal's library of over 8,500 lessons to find lessons on just about any topic.
Related to List of Free Grant Writing Courses and Training Programs
- Recently Updated
Grant writers work closely with organizations to develop proposals for funding. A grant writer must possess strong written...
Workshops and certificate programs commonly offer courses in grant writing. Many programs don't require previous experience in...
Digital technology makes a lot of things simpler. It's also causing some cherished forms of communication, like letter writing,...
Looking for a job? An effective cover letter can help you make a strong first impression and stand out from the pool of...
- Make Your Writing Shine: Tips for Perfect Usage
- Common Writing Errors: Write Right
- Learn Writing in the Blogosphere: Top 10 Writing Blogs
- Associate of Network & Information Systems Technology: Degree Overview
- Associate of Surgical Technology: Degree Overview
- Master of Health Education: Degree Overview
- Associate of Science (AS): Electronics Technology Degree Overview
- A Guide to Establishing a Budget for College Students
- Therapeutic Health Technician Employment Information for Recent Graduates Pursuing a Career in Therapeutic Health Technology
- Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Job Information for Students Considering a Career in Therapeutic Recreation
- Top Advertising Graduate Schools