List of Free Online Management Courses and Lessons
Free online courses in management are offered by real schools. Learn which management courses are available, what topics they cover and which ones lead to real college credit.
Online Management Courses for Credit
Free management courses are available online and don't require students to register or pay tuition. However, these courses don't generally lead to college credit. Students who want to earn credit may want to check out options that charge a nominal fee in exchange for access to online lessons. These fee-based courses help students prepare to earn alternative forms of college credit.
Education Portal features this type of online learning through its timely and informative video lessons and self-assessment quizzes. There are also free transcripts available for all of the video lessons. Both the transcripts and the video lessons can help students earn real college credit. Students who explore the Business 101: Principles of Management course will find lessons on these topics and more:
- Classical School of Management - Examine Max Weber's impersonal management theory, Gantt charts, Henri Fayol's management principles and Chester Barnard's informal organizations theory.
- Behavioral School of Management Theory - Learn about the human relations approach, the Hawthorne Effect and the Needs theory in this chapter.
- Motivation in the Workplace - Topics in this chapter include the Pygmalion Effect, Herzberg's theory on hygiene and motivation, equity theory of motivation and employee empowerment methods.
- Human Resources - Find out about the hiring process, employee orientations, training programs, employee compensation and collective bargaining.
- Production and Quality Assurance - Subjects covered in this chapter address managers' role in quality assurance, total quality management principles and ISO 9000 certification.
Free Online Non-Credited Management Courses
The Management Science I course on Learners TV consists of several videos, most of them ranging from about 30 minutes to almost an hour. Video topics include job enrichment, management concepts, organizational development and corporate social responsibilities.
Project and Production Management contains videos that are roughly one hour in length, covering topics like project appraisal, team building and inventory principles. Business Management offers shorter, roughly 30-minute videos on subjects like marketing strategies, selling and corporate planning. While none of the classes offered by Learners TV offer academic credit, users can learn about a variety of managerial topics.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT's OpenCourseWare doesn't offer academic credit, but the school does offer free courses on a number of subjects. Managerial Psychology is focused on behavioral science theories that can be used in a work setting. Students are taught through lecture notes, assignments, quizzes and papers. Lecture note topics include motivation, negotiation and organizational change.
Management Communication for Undergraduates is a seminar focused on communication, speaking and teamwork skills for managers. The course includes assignments, problem sets and various study materials, such as guides and feedback forms. Strategic HR Management is a graduate course that can show students how to create and carry out human resource management strategies. Course materials include assignment questions, readings, case write-ups, quizzes and a final exam.
Master Class Management & Leadership Training consists of ten lessons with numerous sections. Lesson topics include marketing, sales, decision making skills, employee hiring and department organization. Each lesson includes a quiz at the end, and some include short stories.
The Open University
The Open University offers self-taught classes without academic credit. Discovering Management is a graduate-level course that introduces users to management activities for operations management, project management, finance and stakeholder management. A glossary is included with the course, as well as a list of references.
Understanding Management is an introductory class that helps students cultivate their own method of management, manage their time and develop people skills. Understanding Operations Management is an advanced class where users can learn about supply and demand, manufacturing production and customer satisfaction. A unit summary is included in the course, along with a list of further readings.
University of California at Irvine
Introduction to Project Management lays out the fundamental concepts behind project management. Course topics include project management techniques and product-oriented processes. The course requires students to purchase a project management guide for supplemental reading. Training and Human Resources Development explores how managers and leaders can successfully train a company's employees. Lessons are given on strategic direction and training delivery methods.
University of Michigan
Policy and Management in the Nonprofit Sector doesn't offer academic credit but is a graduate-level course that teaches students about issues related to the nonprofit sector, including sector tensions and helping future policymakers develop positions on policy issues. Course materials include lectures and handouts.
Related to List of Free Online Management Courses and Lessons
- Recently Updated
Learn about management studies at the doctorate level. Read details regarding prerequisites, coursework and career options in...
Bachelor's degree programs in management provide students with the leadership and strategic management skills needed to be a...
Learn about master's degree programs in management. Research such programs' admission requirements, typical coursework, and the...
Professionals often head back to school during tough economic times to stay current in business and provide value to their...
- Theater Management: Education and Career Roadmap
- Electricity Management Jobs: Options and Requirements
- Associate of Management: Accounting Degree Overview
- Average Starting Salary for a Masters Degree Graduate
- Online Ayurveda Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Oracle Developer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Online MBA in Information Management: Degree Program Overview
- Plumbers Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Professional Plumber
- Home Economics Teachers Career Info and Requirements for Becoming a Home Economics Teacher
- Fashion Photographer Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career in Fashion Photography
- Masters Degree Programs in Forensic Psychology