List of Free Online Networking Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online computer networking courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Networking Courses for Credit
Free courses available online usually don't offer college credit. Students who want to get a college degree instead might want to research online courses that offer a credit option. These courses charge a nominal fee, but it's generally much less than what students would pay for the course if they were taking it at a traditional college.
Education Portal's Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications course is an affordable option for students who want to get started on the path to earning college credit. A free transcript is available for all the lessons in this course, but members have the benefit of watching the video lessons led by professionals in this field. Chapters in this course include:
- Information Systems in Organizations - Learn about the components of information systems and examine networks, hardware and software.
- Internet, Intranet, and Extranet - Examine IP addresses, TCP/IP communication protocol, Web design, programming languages, virtual private networks and Open System Interconnection.
- Network Systems Technology - Subjects in this chapter include telecommunications and network operating systems, network types and wireless communication.
- Systems Development - Topics covered in this chapter include systems development tools and phases, life cycles, application development methods and project management.
Free Online Non-Credited Networking Courses
A variety of free computer networking courses are available online for learners at different levels. These free computer networking courses do not lead to college credit. Students can take advantage of the free courses to advance in a career or to learn new skills in the field of computer science.
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
NPTEL is an initiative sponsored by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology to promote engineering and science education by providing online courses. Networking courses from NPTEL are available in online video, YouTube and downloadable formats. The Computer Networks course is a series of 40 video lectures that cover topics in network topology, telecom networks, cellular networks and wireless networks, to name a few. Topics discussed in the Cryptography and Network Security course videos cover modern cryptography, system security and network protocols.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Computer System Engineering
- Data Communication Networks
- Information Technology Essentials
- Network and Computer Security
- Network Optimization
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) offers undergraduate and graduate free online networking courses. Some courses include free material such as lecture notes, projects and exams, which are offered in PowerPoint and PDF formats. In the Computer System Engineering course, students can learn about network engineering, privacy, encryption and virtual memory at the undergraduate level. Video lectures are provided along with course lectures notes and exams with solutions. The Network Optimization course is a series of 23 slide shows covering topics in data structures, algorithms and network flow.
If you wish to study a broader scope of information technology at the graduate level, you can review the lecture notes for the introductory Information Technology Essentials course. Course materials include lecture notes on networks, network security, databases and enterprise systems. Exams are provided without solutions. The Data Communications Networks course covers Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs), probability theory, networking issues and layered network architecture through PDF lecture notes. Also, the Network and Computer Security class lecture notes focus on areas in software protection, secure operating systems and risk assessment.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute course lectures are available in a variety of formats, including audio, video and slides. The Computer Communication Networks course consists of 26 video lectures and downloadable class notes. Students can also pursue the Broadband and Optical Networks to learn about topics in optical networking, traffic engineering and internet telephony. The Experimental Networking course is a lab class consisting of assignments, quizzes and projects.
University of Michigan
- Introduction to Information Studies
- Networked Computing: Storage, Communication, and Processing
- Networks: Theory and Application
Students can pursue free online undergraduate and graduate networking courses from the University of Michigan. Depending on the course, students can access course materials consisting of labs, projects, exams and assignments. The Networked Computing: Storage, Communication and Processing course covers topics in database modeling, software development, computer architecture and internet technologies. Course materials include assignments, lecture notes and handouts. Introduction to Information Studies is an undergraduate level course covering the fundamentals of computer networks, network architecture and information technology. At the graduate level, students can learn about information networks, network theory and applications in the Networks: Theory and Application course. Course materials include assignments, handouts, labs, and lecture notes in PDF.
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
The Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) offers OpenCourseWare materials in science, engineering and education. The Telecommunications and Networking course from UTM covers areas such as network topology, data communication, telecommunication and networking. The class is comprised of seven lessons available in PDF, which cover subjects in HTML programming, Web searching and desktop and video conferencing.
Related to List of Free Online Networking Courses and Classes
- Recently Updated
Read about programs in networking and telecommunications, which include training in the installation, design and management of...
A bachelor's program in networking explores database design, operations management, troubleshooting and wireless technologies....
Explore the facets of an associate's degree program in networking. See the coursework these programs typically require, along...
A degree or certificate in networking and telecommunications can lead to a career as a computer network architect,...
- Top Ranked University for a Degree in Networking - Irvine, CA
- Top School for a Networking and Telecommunications Degree - Pomona, CA
- How to Get Your Professional Networking on Track
- Architectural Technologist: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Cancer Registrar: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Medical Transcriber: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Careers in Police Forensics: Job Options and Education Requirements
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Networking Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Networking Technology: Degree Overview
- Anatomy and Physiology Instructor: Job Description and Requirements
- Top Ranked Electronics Engineering Degree Program - Little Rock, AR
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor: Career Info & Requirements