List of Free Online Pathology Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online pathology courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Pathology Courses for Credit
Free online classes are generally self-directed, allowing students to learn at their own pace. One of the drawbacks of this type of learning, however, is that students usually don't receive credit from the colleges or universities offering them.
Students who'd like to use what they learn in an online class to earn real college credit might want to consider one of the hundreds of affordable, self-paced courses offered by Education Portal. For less than the cost of enrolling in a traditional class, registered members can watch short, entertaining video lessons taught by experienced instructors and use the corresponding self-assessment quizzes to affirm their understanding of the lesson content. There are also free lesson transcripts available to everyone. The Biology 106: Pathophysiology is just one of the courses offered. It includes the following chapters:
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology - Study cell structure and the processes regulating cellular adaptation. Identify diseases that can damage cell function and tissue structure.
- Skin Related Pathology - Learn the structure and function of skin as well as the effects of skin allergies and inflammatory disorders.
- Pathologies of the Respiratory System - Examine the anatomy of the lungs and learn which diseases affect their function and lead to respiratory failure.
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System - Review the functions of bone tissue, muscle and joint structure. Identify symptoms of such conditions as muscular dystrophy, arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Clinical Test Results and Associated Conditions - Get an overview of the tests used to measure electrolyte levels, liver and kidney values and pulmonary function, among others, along with the indications of test results.
Free Non-Credited Pathology Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
The OpenCourseWare system at MIT doesn't require registration and teaches online students through a combination of lecture notes and optional assignments and exams. The lab exercises and case studies were for on-campus students. Principle and Practice of Human Pathology is a graduate course about the basics of human pathology with a focus on diagnostic medicine and disease mechanisms. Lecture topics include the immune system, tissue engineering, vascular pathobiology and lymphoid neoplasms. The course also includes a selection of recommended websites.
The Open University
The Open University offers a range of science classes that can assist students in learning about pathology. The courses include text-based lectures, illustrations and study questions (with answers). In the free Introduction to Histopathology course, students learn why microscopic examinations are important in analyzing tissues damaged by disease. Within the four lessons, topics may include microscopic slides, cell death and cell division. Predictive Medicine is an introductory course where students learn how scientific advances can shape the way we treat and identify diseases. Users will learn about genetic knowledge, gene chips and population screening. Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases is an intermediate course that examines cardiovascular disease and how to manage it. Users learn about interpreting data for disease occurrence and risk factors attributed to cardiovascular disease.
Tufts' OpenCourseWare lessons are free and don't require students to register. Basic Human Pathology introduces students to systematic and general pathology. It's intended to be a transitional course from basic science to the clinical sciences associated with dentistry. There's a definitions list, recommended readings list and the 25 lectures are presented as slides. Histology explores the structure of cells, organs and tissues. Lecture topics include nervous tissue, glands, blood and the respiratory system. Online 6 of the lectures are available for download. There's also an image gallery included for the free course. Nutrition and Medicine teaches about basic nutrition fundamentals that are important to pathology and pharmacology. Students will learn how to judge a patient's nutritional status and help patients make better nutritional choices. The course includes supplemental readings, slides, lecture notes and additional material, such as a nutritional assessment guide.
Related to List of Free Online Pathology Courses and Classes
- Recently Updated
Cardiac pathologists are doctors who have the specialized training necessary to make heart disease diagnoses based on direct...
Renal pathology requires significant formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and certification to see if this...
Learn about the prerequisites, courses and hands-on experience that are part of a master's degree program in speech pathology....
Certification in forensic pathology is available to medical school graduates who have completed a pathology residency program...
- How to Get a Pathology Degree: Program Information
- Pathology Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Best Speech Pathology Programs: List of Top Schools
- Neuroscientist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Ranked Master's in Public Administration Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Digital Media Specialist: Career and Salary Information
- Oceanographer: Job Outlook, Duties and Requirements