List of Free Online Phlebotomy Courses and Educational Materials
See our list of the top free online phlebotomy courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Course Information
Learners should note that free online materials do not award university credit or grades to students who complete them. Regulation of phlebotomists varies by state, but credentialing usually requires completion of a formal training program and an exam. While the free learning materials outlined below may overlap with information found in formal training courses, they don't prepare learners to work as phlebotomists.
Online phlebotomy courses and materials can include quizzes, outlines, lecture notes and videos. Multimedia players and document readers are required in order to open some of these files.
Free Online Phlebotomy Course List
Arterial Puncture at Loyola University - Chicago
Loyola University - Chicago's online resource outlines steps for arterial puncture through illustrated notes and a procedural video. A multiple choice quiz is also included. Students can learn about syringe prep, patient care procedures and potential complications.
Blood Collection Tube Top Colors at Austin Community College
This tutorial from Austin Community College looks at the methods used for color-coding blood collection test tubes. Via web descriptions and illustrations, students can learn how to prevent sample contamination by filling tubes in the correct order. They also identify which colors are associated with which blood tests and additives.
Infection Prevention at EngenderHealth
This reproductive health organization offers a free online brochure for healthcare providers at risk of exposure to infectious diseases. Readers can explore effective prevention methods, such as proper instrument disposal and decontamination, hand hygiene and the use of antiseptics. The brochure is available as a PDF file.
LabNotes at BD Diagnostics
LabNotes are educational materials designed for healthcare professionals who handle lab specimens. Available newsletters focus on job safety and best practices. Topics of study include capillary blood collection techniques and methods for choosing blood specimen types.
Medical Terminology at Des Moines University
Des Moines University's course covers medical terms associated with the musculoskeletal, reproductive, respiratory, digestive, urinary, nervous and circulatory systems. A quiz is included at the end of the course, and students who opt to register and pay a fee receive a certificate of participation.
Patient Communication Skills at the University of Michigan
Although originally geared toward dental students, this course could also prove helpful to other healthcare workers. A series of videos and handouts allows students to learn about patient interaction, cross-cultural patient communication and patient interviewing techniques.
Phlebotomy at Dalhousie University
This free online video offers an overview of what a phlebotomist's job entails. Topics include collection sites and necessary equipment, contraindications, indications and potential complications.
Phlebotomy Tutorial at the University of Utah
This tutorial from the University of Utah looks at basic venipuncture procedures. Topical outlines are accompanied by illustrations covering such topics as order of draw, sample labeling, patient identification, safety and quality assurance.
Related to List of Free Online Phlebotomy Courses and Educational Materials
- Recently Updated
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a phlebotomist. Get a quick overview of the requirements - such as...
Students interested in studying phlebotomy in Tampa, Florida, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about the top local...
Learn how to become a phlebotomist. Research the education and career requirements, licensure and experience required for...
Read about the top schools for phlebotomy, through which students learn how to safely extract blood samples from humans. Learn...
- Bachelor's Degree in Phlebotomy: Program Information
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician: Job Info & Career Requirements
- Schools for Certified Phlebotomy Technicians: How to Choose
- Top Network Security Degree Program - Westminster, CO
- Top Accounting and Finance MBA Programs - Columbus, OH
- Top School in Greensboro, NC, with Multimedia Degree Programs
- Top School in Santa Barbara for a Photojournalism Degree
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician: Job Description & Certification Requirements
- Phlebotomy Technician: Educational Requirements
- What Education Do I Need to Become a Clothing Designer?
- Top School for a Career As a Veterinary Technician - Omaha, NE
- Top School in Atlanta for an Associate's in CAD Drafting
- Casino Security Officer Job Outlook and Requirements for Starting a Career in Casino Security
- Retail Buyer Job Outlook and Career Information for Becoming a Retail Buyer
- Forensic Science Technician Job Duties and Requirements for a Career As a Forensic Technician
- Online Graduate Degree Program in Legal Nurse Consulting