List of Free Online Social Work Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online social work courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Social Work Course Information
There are many free, online classes for students who want to learn about social work. These classes do not typically award students credit and are meant to provide students access to higher education. The social work classes below are much like the standard classes offered at universities and allow students access to real course materials, such as assignments, essays, readings, videos and lectures. Since the classes do not award credit, students are not required to submit assignments or complete exams. All of the classes can be completed at the student's own pace, giving students the freedom to study how they want to study.
The Open University
- Introducing Social Work Practice
- Interview with a Social Worker
- Social Work Learning Practice
- Who Makes Them?
- Remaking the Relations of Work and Welfare
- The Social in Social Sciences
- Becoming a Critical Social Work Practitioner
The Open University offers a variety of OpenCourseWare courses related to social work, as well as online study clubs that give students a chance to form groups and virtually study and converse with fellow classmates. Its introductory social work course, known as Social Work Learning Practice, is largely an audio unit. As a whole, the class teaches students how to understand others, connect with people of different backgrounds and understand social work. The Open University also offers the Interview With a Social Worker course for students who want to learn about what it takes to be in social work and an Introducing Social Work Practice course, which covers what social workers do and how to become one.
This school also offers more intermediate and advanced courses relating to this field, for instance The Social in Social Science is an advanced course that combines the concepts of social sciences with social work. Online students can learn about social processes and governance and how to deal with daily problems.
Remaking the Relations of Work and Welfare is also an advanced class that covers students about the 'welfare-to-work' model and how these types of social work theories apply to people's daily lives. In a similar class, known as Who Makes Them?, students explore the issues in modern society, whether it's poverty, drug use or homelessness.
As an advanced level class, Becoming a Critical Social Work Practitioner covers how to become a critical thinker, so that students learn about addressing social welfare problems in society.
University of Massachusetts - Boston
These University of Massachusetts - Boston online courses include quizzes, written assignments and online lectures. The Substance Abuse and the Family course allows students to learn about ways that family members and providers can assist family members dealing with substance abuse. Social Attitudes and Public Opinion teaches students about the role of human attitudes and behavior.
University of Notre Dame
Introduction to Social Psychology is an entry level courses that allows students to access the materials from 28 class sessions that cover concepts like self-esteem, communication and relationships. There are also notes and outlines from 25 lectures, and a list of readings is also available.
Related to List of Free Online Social Work Courses and Classes
- Recently Updated
Have you ever thought about a career in social work? If you like helping others in need, you might consider the field. Here are...
Get the specifics of Master of Social Work degree programs at two top universities. Learn information about school rankings,...
Social work degree programs help train students to help clients and patients to deal with problems in their everyday life,...
Social workers help people by giving them access to resources like healthcare facilities and counseling services. These...
- Be a Social Work Supervisor: Education and Career Roadmap
- Forensic Social Work Certificate: Program Overview
- Medical Social Work Certification and Training Program Info
- Clinical Systems Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Help Desk Support Professional: Job Description & Career Info
- Pharmaceutical Chemist: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Top Degrees for Marketing and Marketing Management - San Diego, CA
- Social Worker: Education Overview for a Career in Social Work
- How to Become a Caseworker: Education and Career Roadmap
- Career and Salary Info for a Masters in School Administration
- Public Health Program Manager: Job Description and Requirements
- Work in an Adoption Agency: Career Information and Requirements