Master in Health Sciences - Emergency & Disaster Management Degree
Emergency and disaster relief administrators prepare and plan for situations of disaster and health crisis, striving to act with as much speed, skill and calm as possible when such events occur. The Master of Public Health (MPH) is an example of a common degree in this field. This program equips students with the knowledge and leadership abilities they'll need to pursue careers as relief administrators in public or private sectors.
Master of Public Health in Emergency and Disaster Management
This master's degree program provides an in-depth overview of emergency services management at the local and regional levels, as well as national and international levels. Studies begin by addressing the foundational principles of public health law and management techniques. Students develop a keen awareness for the various ways in which disasters and emergency situations arise, investigating both instances of natural disaster and man-made crisis, such as terrorist attacks. They then learn about methods of response to such situations, factoring in components like personnel recruitment, supply acquisition and methods of aid delivery in an effort to ensure such events are met with the most expedient response.
In order to begin the program, students must have completed a bachelor's degree program in a related discipline. GRE test results must be submitted, and students must complete an interview process, providing a summary of their goals for the program and their career.
Students acquire as much hands-on education as possible, whether through simulated in-class scenarios or internships with emergency relief organizations. The curriculum features such course topics as these:
- Health management
- Public health law
- Health care economics
- Disaster planning and response
- Public health emergencies
- Communication in crisis situations
- Health risk assessment
- Psychosocial aspects of disasters
- Community recovery in health disasters
- Special needs in emergency response
Popular Career Options
Once they've completed the master's degree program, students can pursue a range of opportunities in management for public health and emergency relief organizations. Potential job titles include these:
- Emergency response trainer
- Social service worker
- Public health consultant
Job Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), social workers were expected to see a 19% increase in employment from 2012-2022, which is faster than the average for all occupations nationally. As of May 2012, the BLS reported that child, family and school social workers earned a median annual salary of $41,530, while mental health and substance abuse social workers earned a median annual salary of $39,980. For the same time period, the BLS reported that healthcare social workers earned a median annual salary of $49,830.
After completing the master's degree program, students are able to continue their studies at the doctorate level with degree programs such as the Doctor of Philosophy in Disaster Management, where they'll conduct heavy research to determine the best ways to prepare for and prevent various types of disasters.
Related to Master in Health Sciences - Emergency & Disaster Management Degree
- Recently Updated
Professionals in the field of health management and clinical administration plan, direct, coordinate and supervise the...
Emergency and disaster management programs may also be known as crisis management programs. Students seeking a bachelor's...
Those seeking positions as health services managers typically pursue degrees in health management. A bachelor's degree is the...
Health information management (HIM) specialists collect patient data, code it for reference and research purposes, and ensure...
- Schools with Health Information Management Programs: How to Choose
- Disaster Management Job Options and Education Requirements
- Salary and Career Info for a Masters in Disaster and Emergency Management
- Talent Director: Employment Info & Requirements
- Certified Public Accountant: How to Become a CPA?
- Certified Reading Teacher: Job Description, Duties and Salary Info
- Periodontal Technician: Job Duties & Requirements
- Jobs for Emergency Management Professionals: Career Outlook
- Graduate Certificate in Health Services Management: Online Certificate
- Life Care Planner: Job Duties & Career Requirements
- Clinical Trial & Pharmaceuticals Administration: Job Description & Requirements
- Salary and Career Info for an E-Business Manager