MBA in Hospitality Management: Degree Overview
Read the details of an MBA in Hospitality Management program here. Learn what you will need to apply, and explore the subjects you might study. See possible career options, along with the employment statistics for management professionals.
Schools offer Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs in hospitality or hospitality management to students who would like to take on leadership roles in hotels, resorts and other businesses in the industry. Students can prepare to work for businesses that cater to international and domestic travelers alike. They might also get to take advantage of co-op or internship opportunities. Program concentrations may be available in areas that include marketing and event leadership. Voluntary certification is available from hospitality industry organizations.
To enter an MBA program, students usually need a bachelor's degree. They must also meet minimum grade point average requirements and provide personal references. Students in some programs need to complete prerequisite courses in topics such as hospitality law and event management.
The curriculum for an MBA program in hospitality management usually includes core business courses in accounting and economics. Through program coursework, students gain the leadership skills necessary to improve a restaurant's customer service, staff a hotel or increase a resort's revenues. Coursework can also touch on topics in ethical management, career planning and research methods. Other subjects covered in a program may include:
- Decision-making and leadership
- Corporate managerial finance
- Event management
- Event marketing concepts and analysis
- Tourism issues and strategies
Popular Career Options
With an MBA in Hospitality Management, individuals may qualify for positions in a variety of business. Employers can include hotels, resorts and casinos. Possible job titles are listed below:
- Event producer
- Lodging manager
- Meeting and convention director
- Director of special events
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Slower-than-average employment growth at a rate of 1% is projected for lodging managers over the 2012-2022 period, reports the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) (www.bls.gov). The median annual pay for lodging managers in May 2013 was $46,830. The BLS also reported a 33% employment growth projection for meeting, convention and event planners, which is much faster than average. These planners earned a May 2013 median wage of $46,260.
Continuing Education Information
Individuals who wish to teach at the collegiate level or conduct research for private businesses and government agencies can enter Doctor of Philosophy programs in hospitality management. Program focus areas or emphases can include sales and marketing as well as hospitality real estate management.
Voluntary certifications are also available through professional organizations like the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (www.ahlei.org). Professionals who meet eligibility requirements and pass written exams can earn credentials such as the Certified Hospitality Supervisor.
Related to MBA in Hospitality Management: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Learn about the Executive MBA in Hospitality Management program. Read on for educational prerequisites and program coursework,...
Learn what makes the two top schools for earning an MBA in hospitality management stand out. Find out about school rankings,...
See our list of the top free online hospitality and service management courses. Learn about what courses are available, what...
Students interested in studying hospitality management in Birmingham, AL, have only a few schools to choose from. Read about...
- Top School in Chicago for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Top School in Columbus, Ohio, for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Top University with a Hospitality Management Degree - Bakersfield, CA
- Best Degree Programs in Business Marketing - Jersey City, NJ
- Top Colorado Springs Computer Technology Management Programs
- What Is a Child Care Specialist?
- Top Business School - Phoenix, AZ
- Top School in Sacramento for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Top School in Baltimore for a Hospitality Management Degree
- Plant General Manager: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Architectural Technologist: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Tower Crane Operator: Training Requirements and Job Description