Master of Business Administration (MBA): Public Administration Degree Overview
A Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a specialization in public administration can can have applications in professional settings, including corporate and government work. Graduates are prepared for advanced positions with nonprofits and public service organizations.
Master of Business Administration in Public Administration
A public administration MBA degree program can teach students about management within the executive levels of government agencies and other organizations. Courses are commonly designed to teach students about the roles and principles of public administration, as well as the management of public policy, executive-legislative relations, public budgetary processes and financial management. Students can also study general business concepts and gain a firm grasp of economics, accounting, psychology, management and finance.
To enroll in an MBA degree program, students must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college. Usually, schools prefer applicants who hold an undergraduate degree in business, but many schools have special admissions procedures for those who hold other majors. Such procedures may include completion of prerequisite business courses.
Foundation coursework in business topics, such as economics, international business, business law, human resource management, finance and marketing, are typically required as part of an MBA program. A specialization in public administration requires students to take additional courses that may cover topics including:
- Public service ethics
- Public service theory
- Policy analysis
- Enterprise management
- Business relations
- Public budgeting
- Legal aspects of public service
- Public service personnel management
Popular Career Options
Most graduates of public administration graduate degree programs seek work in government agencies and nonprofit groups. However, graduates can also work in the private sector. Generally, an MBA program with a specialization in public administration can prepare students for advanced criminal justice careers, public administration teaching positions, business management positions, government careers and nonprofit administration positions. Possible job titles include:
- Tax assessor
- Court clerk
- Police chief
- Prison warden
- Fire Chief
Continuing Education Information
Graduates of an MBA public administration degree program may consider continuing their education in a public administration doctoral degree program. A doctoral degree program is typically designed for individuals who are already working in advanced public service positions. Programs are designed to help those individuals advance their careers into executive positions through research projects and intern experiences in various public administration positions.
Related to Master of Business Administration (MBA): Public Administration Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Research information about online MBA programs specializing in public administration. Learn about common coursework,...
Information technology is commonly concerned with the management of large amounts of data and IT staff in order to...
Research Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees in supply chain management. Get information on requirements,...
Research Master of Business Administration programs in global enterprise management. Get information on requirements,...
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Online Global Management Degree
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Online International Business Degree
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): E-Commerce Degree Overview
- Top Ranked University with Graphic Design Degree Programs - Miami, FL
- Top Ranked School for a Master's in Accounting Degree - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Degrees for Educational Administration and Teaching - Kansas City, MO
- Top Bachelor of Communications Degree Program - Phoenix, AZ
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Customer Relationship Degree Overview
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Negotiation and Conflict Management Degree Overview
- Top Ranked Nursing School - Los Angeles, CA
- Top Web Design School - Chicago, IL
- Top Ranked Instructional Leadership and Teaching Degrees - Atlanta, GA