Master of Data Management: Degree Program Information
Find out more about what you can expect to learn in a master's degree program in information systems with a concentration in data management. Discover the employment and salary information for your data management career, too.
Individuals interested in advancing their knowledge of database theory and design, data analysis, and data mining might benefit from a master's program in data management. The most common graduate degree in this field is a Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) with a concentration in data management.
Most MSIS programs with a concentration in data management are designed to be completed in one to two years. Such programs offer specific information related to data management and data analysis and rely upon a student's previous understanding of computer systems and information technology (IT). To enroll in a program, a bachelor's degree in a related area is required.
While enrolled in a master's degree program in data management, students learn to manage an organization's data in ways that will streamline processes and increase profit. They gain the tools necessary to design, implement, and manage the various data systems that can affect decision-making strategies at businesses and corporations.
Data management programs at the graduate level prepare individuals for advanced positions as information systems analysts and executives within the business and technology sectors. Graduates of a master's program in data management may decide to enroll in a Ph.D. in Data Management or Ph.D. in a related area with a concentration in data management.
Before entering a master's program in data management, students should complete a bachelor's program in information security, business, or computer science. Many MSIS programs require that incoming students have a grade point average of at least 3.0 and complete a Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). Some MSIS programs also recommend that incoming students have real-world experience in the IT field.
A data management master's degree program includes core courses in data analysis as well as electives that relate to strategy and management. Examples of classes include:
- Database theory and design
- System analysis
- Data mining
- Management information systems
- Data warehousing
- Data analysis and decision making
- IT security
- Project management
- Advanced web applications
- Practical management science
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of database administrators is projected to increase by 31% between 2010 and 2020. The BLS also reported that employment within the related field of computer systems analysis could grow as much as 22% during the same time frame. Average salaries earned by database administrators and computer systems analysts were estimated to be $79,120 and $83,800, respectively, by the BLS in May 2012.
Related to Master of Data Management: Degree Program Information
- Recently Updated
Data management is the protection, management and interpretation of data assets for varied organizations such as corporations,...
Explore certificate programs in clinical data management. Discover what you will need to enroll, and get information about...
Courses in a Bachelor of Management Studies program provide students with a basic understanding of management practices,...
Find out what clinical data managers do, and see what kind of education is required to become one. Get information about career...
- Online Management Information System (MIS) Certificate Program Info
- Doctorate in Sports Management: PhD Program Information
- Diploma in Conservation and Wildlife Management: Program Information
- Biology Lab Technician Careers: Job Options and Education Requirements
- Best School for a Public Administration Degree - Miami, FL
- Bioinformatician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Engineering Design Career Requirements and Information
- Online PhD in Learning Management: Program Information
- Online Bachelor of Sports Management Degree Program Information
- Business Counselor: Job Description, Education Requirements & Salary Info
- Business Continuity Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems in Chicago