Master's in Information Systems Management: Degree Overview
The Master of Information Systems Management (MISM) degree will help you have a career that combines your interest in both business and technology. A Master of Information Systems degree (MSIS, MIS) will teach you about electronic commerce, management, and information systems.
Master's degree in information systems
Information systems is an academic discipline that incorporates management of business data systems with a focus on system design and data management. Top management positions in the field of information systems often require a master's degree in information systems or information systems management, such as a Master in Information Systems (MIS), Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) or Master in Information Systems Management (MISM). The recipient of this degree will have technical knowledge emphasizing design and analysis combined with business management knowledge and skills.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is necessary to enroll in a master's program in information systems or information systems management. Prior knowledge of programming languages is desired. Students without a business background may be required to take additional courses.
This degree encompasses courses in business strategy, software and systems design and system analysis. Courses will also include:
- Data management
- Data mining
- Finance and/or accounting courses
Graduates with a master's degree in information systems are prepared to analyze and improve upon existing technology systems in an organization and may manage other employees. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), these degrees prepare an individual for jobs such as:
- Chief technology officer
- Computer and information systems manager
- IT project manager
- MIS director
Individuals with a master's degree in information systems may enhance their employability by attaining professional certifications. Certifications are generally offered by the makers of software products and demonstrate a level of proficiency with the product. Individuals may also decide to pursue a doctoral degree in information systems.
Related to Master's in Information Systems Management: Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
Few universities in the Baltimore area have top ranking management information systems programs. Read on to find out more about...
Students interested in studying information systems management in Cleveland, Ohio, have only a few schools to choose from. Read...
Ph.D. degree programs in information systems management are offered online and in a hybrid format of online and on-campus. A...
The University of Indianapolis is a nationally ranked higher learning institution located in Indianapolis, IN. For students...
- Graduate Certificate in Information Systems Management: Online Certificate
- Top Ranked Computer Information Systems Management Degree Programs - Denver, CO
- Master of Information Systems Management (MISM): Online Degree
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Taxation Degree Overview
- School Bus Driver Training and Education Program Information
- Become a School Media Specialist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Associate of Computer Aided Drafting (CAD): Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Management of Information Systems (MIS) Degree Overview
- Top Computer Information Systems Management Degree - Irvine, CA
- Driver's Ed Instructor: Job Description and Requirements
- Diagnostic Vascular Sonography Certificate: Program Summary
- MDS Nurse Training, Degree and Certificate Program Information