Master of Information Systems (MIS): Information Systems Management Degree Overview
The Master of Information Systems Management (MISM) degree will help you have a career that combines your interest in both business and technology. A Master of Information Systems degree (MSIS, MIS) will teach you about electronic commerce, management, and information systems.
Master's degree in information systems
Information systems is an academic discipline that incorporates management of business data systems with a focus on system design and data management. Top management positions in the field of information systems often require a master's degree in information systems or information systems management, such as a Master in Information Systems (MIS), Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) or Master in Information Systems Management (MISM). The recipient of this degree will have technical knowledge emphasizing design and analysis combined with business management knowledge and skills.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is necessary to enroll in a master's program in information systems or information systems management. Prior knowledge of programming languages is desired. Students without a business background may be required to take additional courses.
This degree encompasses courses in business strategy, software and systems design and system analysis. Courses will also include:
- Data management
- Data mining
- Finance and/or accounting courses
Graduates with a master's degree in information systems are prepared to analyze and improve upon existing technology systems in an organization and may manage other employees. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), these degrees prepare an individual for jobs such as:
- Chief technology officer
- Computer and information systems manager
- IT project manager
- MIS director
Individuals with a master's degree in information systems may enhance their employability by attaining professional certifications. Certifications are generally offered by the makers of software products and demonstrate a level of proficiency with the product. Individuals may also decide to pursue a doctoral degree in information systems.
Related to Master of Information Systems (MIS): Information Systems Management Degree Overview
- Recently Updated
A bachelor's degree program in management information systems can help students develop leadership and management...
MIS Degree: Top Rated University with a Management Information Systems Degree Program - Baltimore, MD
Several 4-year colleges and universities offer management information systems degree programs in and around Baltimore,...
Bachelor's degree programs in information systems management prepare tomorrow's information professionals to handle...
Learn about associate degree programs in information systems management. Get information about career prospects,...
- Health Information Systems Management Degree and Training Programs
- Top Computer Information Systems Management Degree - Irvine, CA
- Top Ranked Computer Information Systems Management Degree Programs - Denver, CO
- Top Ranked University for Biomedical Engineering - New York, NY
- Top Ranked School for Operations Management Degrees - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Ranked University with a Nursing Degree Program - Phoenix, AZ
- 11 Universities to Watch in 2011
- Online PHD in Information Systems Management Program Overviews
- Top Ranked University with Computer Information Systems Management Degrees - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Degree Programs for a Respiratory Therapist - Phoenix, AZ
- 10 Places to Find Free Computer Networking Tutorials on the Web
- Top Ranked Business Marketing Degree Program - Houston, TX