Masters in Environmental Studies: Program Overview
Master's degrees in environmental studies are available to students who wish to prepare for careers as environmental scientists. These programs often lead to work in scientific research and can usually be completed in two years or less by full-time students.
Master of Environmental Studies
Master's degree programs in environmental studies cover a wide variety of science topics, including geology, scientific research and environmental policy. Outside of completing a bachelor's degree program that includes basic science courses, there are no significant educational prerequisites to enroll in a graduate environmental studies program.
Master's degrees in environmental studies cover a broad spectrum of material; therefore, many schools allow students to specialize in specific areas, such as biology, advocacy or environmental health. Specialized programs may deviate from a school's standard environmental studies curriculum. In addition, environmental studies master's students are typically required to complete a thesis paper, internship or independent study term. Coursework found in most graduate environmental studies programs includes the following:
- Research and statistical methods
- Ethics and the environment
- Environmental policy
- Ecology and environmental biology
- Environmental law
- Resource management
Popular Career Options
A master's degree in environmental studies is required for many of the jobs within the environmental science field. These careers may be based largely in field work and independent research. Environmental science careers that can be attained with a master's degree include the following:
- Environmental scientist
- Laboratory technician
- Soil conservationist
- Environmental science teacher
Continuing Education Information
A doctorate is required for some high-level jobs in environmental studies, including teaching at a university level. Doctor of Philosophy programs are widely available, both in broad environmental science and its various sub-sections.
Related to Masters in Environmental Studies: Program Overview
- Recently Updated
Environmental studies is an interdisciplinary field that encompasses physical, biological and social sciences. Top...
Environmental studies encompasses several academic disciplines in order to address environmental issues from multiple...
Environmental studies courses will prepare you for a career in which you can do your part to protect the earth. If you...
Environmental contractors perform various types of environmental construction and remediation tasks for the private...
- List of Free Environmental Studies Courses and Training Programs
- Environmental Studies Associate Degree Program Information
- Environmental Studies Professional: Career and Education Related Information
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Health Care Administration - Bakersfield, CA
- Top Ranked School for a Human Resource Management Degree - Dallas, TX
- Top Ranked Business Marketing Degree Program - Houston, TX
- Top Accounting and Finance Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ - Phoenix, AZ
- Career Information for a Degree in Environmental Engineering
- Master of Science (MS): Environmental Engineering Degree Overview
- Best Technology Management School - Dallas, TX
- Top Ranked Information Systems Security Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- Top School for a Degree in Computer Information Technology - Columbus, OH