Mechanical Device Engineers: Info About a Career in Mechanical Device Engineering and Mechanical Device Technology
Mechanical Device Engineers design, develop and manufacture tools, engines and machines as they relate to the generation and distribution of energy. A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology is required for almost all entry-level jobs.
Career Definition: Mechanical Device Engineer
Mechanical Device Engineers are concerned with the mechanical aspects of physics and its practical application to a variety of manufacturing fields. Virtually all areas of engineering make use of mechanical engineering principles to some extent. Mechanical Device Engineers provide expertise to the fields of manufacturing, energy technology, noise control and biomedical engineering, in addition to developing mechanical devices for everyday use. They also design tools for other engineers and have recently become involved in the field of pollution control where they work to develop machines and processes that produce fewer pollutants, as well as new devices that reduce or remove existing ones, according to American Society for Mechanical Engineers, www.asme.org.
Becoming a Mechanical Device Engineer
Required Education: Mechanical Device Engineering
Mechanical Device Engineers must posses a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology, which takes between four and five years to complete, due to the rigorous nature of engineering programs and the fact that many students participate in co-op internships.
Students begin with general engineering coursework, which includes calculus, physics, thermodynamics and mechanical science. Advanced classes focus on principles specific to Mechanical Engineering, such as internal combustion engines, power producing machines, noise control, fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
Required Skills: Mechanical Device Engineer
All engineers must have a strong aptitude for math and physics, though the stereotype of the analytical and rational engineer belies the need for curiosity and creativity that lead to the development of novel solutions based upon science. As such, Mechanical Device Engineers should be able to work as part of a team. Strong communication skills will set them apart from their peers and make them more attractive to employers.
Career and Economic Outlook: Mechanical Device Engineering
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, employment growth for Mechanical Device Engineers is expected to be slower than average through 2016, due to a decline in traditional manufacturing. However, growth will occur in emerging technologies, particularly as they relate to environmentally friendly technologies. Additionally, the skills of Mechanical Device Engineers translate easily to other engineering specialties, providing them with a high degree of flexibility in the field. In 2006, the median salary of a Mechanical Device Engineer was $69,850.
Related to Mechanical Device Engineers: Info About a Career in Mechanical Device Engineering and Mechanical Device Technology
- Recently Updated
A degree in mechanical engineering technology can prepare graduates for careers involving applied engineering...
Research associate degrees in mechanical engineering technology. Get information on requirements and career prospects...
Research online associate degrees in mechanical engineering technology. Get information on requirements, courses,...
Mechanical engineering technicians help develop and test all kinds of machines under the supervision of mechanical...
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree Overview
- List of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Classes and Courses
- Online Schools for Mechanical Engineering and Robotics: How to Choose
- Top Ranked Networking and Communications Management Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- List of Free Online Computer Engineering Courses and Classes
- Alternative Health Practitioner: Job Info and Requirements for a Career in Alternative Healing
- Best School for a Master's in Public Administration Degree - Milwaukee, WI
- Mechanical Engineer: Mechanical Engineering Career Education
- Mechanical Engineering Degree: Top Ranked University with a Degree Programs in Mechanical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ
- Top University with School Administration Degrees - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Degree Programs in Nursing and Nursing Administration - Albuquerque, NM
- Biomedical Engineering: Top University for Becoming a Biomedical Engineer - Elk Grove, CA