Media Consultant: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
Media consultants require significant formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and requirements to see if this is the right career for you.
Media consultants, also known by other titles like media or communications specialists, generally work in the area of public relations and help manage the public image of an individual or group. A bachelor's degree is usually required for entry-level positions in this field, along with experience.
|Required Education||Bachelor's degree|
|Other Requirements||Several years' relevant experience|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||12% for public relations specialists|
|Median Annual Salary (2013)*||$54,940 for public relations specialists|
Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Media Consultant Job Description
Media consultant is a title used in many different career fields, such as telecommunications, sales, and website design. It is also commonly used in the field of public relations. Public relations media consultants offer advice to individuals and organizations that are looking for help in promoting and maintaining their public image. Duties may encompass a wide range of responsibilities including:
- Drafting press releases, news, and magazine articles
- Setting up speaking engagements and preparing speeches for spokespeople
- Developing media plans and policies with executives in the organization
- Directing public relations campaigns for a company or organization
Media consultants for smaller companies may perform a wider array of duties from preparing promotional material to contacting key individuals. They may also offer training to executives on how to promote a public image and handle media relations.
Salary and Career Outlook
While the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) does not report a specific salary for media consultants, it does note that the median annual salary earned by public relations specialists was $54,940 as of May 2013 (www.bls.gov). The BLS also reported that the top ten percent of workers in this field earned $103,240 or more annually. While public relations specialists could expect average employment growth (12%) from 2012-2022, media and communications workers in general could expect smaller employment growth of 8% during that same time period, according to the BLS.
Media consultants working in the area of public relations often have college degrees in journalism, communications, public relations, or marketing. Coursework may range from mass communications to media campaigns. Students may also be required to take speech and writing classes. Aspiring media consultants majoring in marketing and advertising may take additional coursework in business administration.
An October 2013 job search on Monster.com indicated that media consultants may need to have several or more years of work experience in planning media campaigns for advanced positions. Additionally, the BLS notes that some firms may require specialized training in electronic or print journalism, while others may desire a background in an area related to their business, such as healthcare, sales, engineering, or finance.
Related to Media Consultant: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Read about degree programs in media studies, through which students examine film, television and radio production techniques....
The American Library Association has announced the winners of the 2011 youth media awards. These include the Newberry,...
Last week the Kaiser Foundation released a report showing that mobile technology has led to a significant increase in media...
Use the summaries and table below to find out which top schools offer degree programs in media arts. Read about the academic...
- Adapting Social Media to the Classroom
- Best School for Learning Digital Media and Multimedia - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Media Production Universities: List of Schools
- Dean of Students: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- North Carolina (NC) Universities, Colleges, and Career Education
- Top Programs in Charlotte, NC, for Computer & Network Security Degrees
- Top Ranked Digital Security Degree Program - Kansas City, MO
- List of Top Digital Media Schools and Colleges
- Educational Consultant Certification and Certificate Program Summaries
- Top University with a Criminal Justice Degree - Cincinnati, OH
- Sales Administrative Assistant: Job Description and Requirements
- PC Support Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements