Mining Engineer: Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Mining Engineer
A bachelor's degree is needed for a career in Mining Engineering, and any engineer working in the public sector will have to be awarded state certification as well. Fields related to Mining Engineering include chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, geological engineering, petroleum engineering and agricultural engineering.
Career Definition: Mining Engineer
Mining Engineers design and create systems that are used to locate, extract and transport natural resources. They develop and design new mining equipment and make sure that the mining procedures used are safe and efficient. Increasingly, Mining Engineers focus their attention on creating mining equipment and techniques that are as friendly to the environment as possible.
How to Become a Mining Engineer
Required Education for a Career in Mining Engineering
Mining Engineers need at least a bachelor's degree to find a job and many research positions require a doctorate or master's degree. Additionally, any Mining Engineer who works in the public sector must have state certification. Some courses that students need to take cover geology, mining operation, mine design, metallurgy and environmental reclamation, among others.
Skills Required for a Career as a Mining Engineer
Mining Engineers must have a strong background in math and science, good organizational skills and strong problem solving abilities. Creativity and the ability to communicate effectively are also needed.
Career and Economic Outlook for Mining Engineering
The number of jobs in the Mining Engineering field is expected to expand about 10% from 2010-2020, in line with the national average, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). The BLS also indicated that the average yearly salary for Mining and Geological Engineers was $91,250 in 2012.
Related to Mining Engineer: Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Mining Engineer
- Recently Updated
Find out how to become a verification engineer. Research the education requirements and learn about the experience you need to...
Both landscape architects and civil engineers make designs and may even work together on certain projects; however, the type of...
Army combat engineers, also known as Sappers, provide support during combat missions. The duty of combat engineers is to...
Learn how to become a manufacturing design engineer. Research the job description and the education, licensing and...
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Certifications and Certificates
- Engineer: How to Become Licensed in the Field of General Engineering
- Engineer - Civil: Overview of Civil Engineering Programs
- Physical Therapist Assistant Degree Program Information
- Agricultural Business Degree and Career Information
- Associate of Medical Administration: Medical Transcription Degree Overview
- Thoracic Medicine Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top University in Elk Grove, CA, for Becoming a Biomedical Engineer
- Plant Engineer: Salary, Duties, Requirements and Outlook
- Healthcare Office Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Masters in Fashion Merchandising: Degree Program Outlines
- Educational Consultant: Career Information and Requirements