Music Production Masters Degree Program Overviews
A master's degree program related to music production is designed to provide graduate students with an advanced understanding of the various technologies that go into music, sound recording, engineering, mixing and production. The most common type of degree offered at this level is a Master of Science in Music Technology.
Master of Science in Music Technology
Master's degree programs in music technology are ideal for students who already have a background in musical theory, audio recording, computing or audio engineering. This master's degree program allows graduate students to explore new digital technologies in the music production and recording fields.
Most graduate programs in music technology take about two years to complete and include classroom lectures, individual research projects, hands-on studio time and a thesis project or paper. Students learn about technological developments in varying aspects of music production, such as audio software, music compression, distribution methods and playback. Opportunities are also available to learn how to design and develop new technologies in music recording, production and multimedia creation.
A baccalaureate degree is the standard educational prerequisite for any individual interested in applying to a graduate program related to music production. Prior degrees in audio engineering, music computing or sound recording and production are common. Many schools also require that incoming graduate students submit GRE scores, grade transcripts, portfolios of past work and letters of recommendation.
The majority of courses included in a graduate program in music production and technology cover new and emerging technologies in the field. Some examples of common courses are listed below:
- Principles of music production
- Music technology
- Foundations of multimedia technology
- Multimedia design applications
- Sound engineering
- Audio production
- Music production thesis project
Popular Career Options
There are several career opportunities available for graduates of a master's degree program related to music production. Some of these include:
- Music producer
- Audio engineer
- Sound mixer
- Music and sound recorder
- Audio technician
- Re-recording mixers
- Studio engineer
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Music directors and composers, which includes producers, are projected to have 10 percent employment growth during the 2010-2020 decade, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). Salaries for music producers vary greatly. Payscale.com reported a salary range of $19,922 to $213,308 annually for music producers in November 2013. The median annual salary was listed as $59,545.
Continuing Education Options
A few public and private universities offer Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in Music Technology for students who are interested in conducting advanced research or teaching in a university. Such programs typically take between five and seven years to complete and require students to finish a publishable dissertation advancing study in the field.
Related to Music Production Masters Degree Program Overviews
- Recently Updated
Learn about what a music video producer does. Explore the profession by finding out the training and skills requirements,...
Although rare, online music production programs are available at both the associate and bachelor's degree levels. Students...
Those with a keen ear who love keeping up with the latest songs and recording artists may want to consider a career as a music...
Music video production assistants are the 'hands-on' members of music video crews, and their job duties can range from...
- Diary of an OCW Music Student: Final Thoughts
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 10: Temperaments, Roots of 2 and Conclusions
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 9: A 12-Tone Pythagorean Set
- Technical Project Manager: Employment Info and Career Requirements
- Public Health Microbiologist: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Driving Instructor Courses and Certificate Programs
- Master's in Public Safety & Security: Degree Program Information
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 8: Tuning with Pure Major and Minor Triads
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 7: The Minor Triad and a Circular System of Thirds
- Assistant Art Director: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Patient Care Administrator: Job Description & Career Requirements
- Plane Technician Supervisor: Job Duties & Career Requirements