Nursery Manager: Job Description, Duties, Salary and Outlook
Nursery managers are responsible for the day-to-day operations of running a nursery, including hiring workers, growing gardens, and displaying plants. Education in horticulture, agriculture, or botany could aid in qualifying individuals for management positions in nurseries and greenhouses.
Nursery Manager Job Description
Nursery managers supervise the operations of businesses that grow plants to sell, trade, display, or research. The responsibilities of a nursery manager normally depend on the size of the nursery. Managers at large-scale nurseries might only be involved in business aspects, such as employee relations and financial considerations, while manager of smaller nurseries could deal with all facets of running the nursery, including plant care and customer service.
Nursery Manager Job Duties
Nursery managers determine optimal growing conditions for certain plants. They take into account the sun each area receives, slopes in the landscape, soil type, drainage, and other factors that affect plant growth. They decide which plants to grow and how many of each plant are necessary for business operations. Managers make calculations based on projected sales or current orders. They might create marketing plans, set budgets, order supplies, and ensure proper working conditions of equipment.
Decisions about when to plant, fertilize, harvest, and sell could be the responsibility of nursery managers. Because weather conditions greatly affect the success of plant growth, nursery managers carefully monitor weather patterns and take proper precautions to ensure the plants are not distressed by unfavorable weather conditions. They examine plants for diseases, insects, wildlife damage, and weeds to protect the health of the plants.
Nursery managers recruit, hire, train, oversee, and terminate employees of a nursery. They provide new employees with proper gardening equipment and teach correct techniques and procedures for plant care. The nursery manager delegates job duties and ensures that employees do their jobs properly. The nursery manager might also schedule work hours and handle payroll. Nursery managers are responsible for establishing a safe working environment by creating and implementing safety policies that adhere to legal standards.
Salary of a Nursery Manager
According to October 2013 figures on Salary.com, nursery and greenhouse managers earned a median salary of $42,342. Location plays a determining factor in wages, as well. The salary website showed that median wages in Los Angeles, CA, and New York, NY, were above the national median, while nursery managers in Phoenix, AZ, and cities in Texas earned less than the national median.
Outlook for a Nursery Manager
The BLS reported that nursery managers, a subcategory of agricultural management, would experience a three percent decline in employment opportunities from 2010-2020 (www.bls.gov). The expected lack of employment growth for nursery laborers was anticipated to directly affect the need for management. Horticulture and organic farming were anticipated to be among the fastest-growing agricultural niches, offering some of the best chances for work in the industry. However, consolidation of agricultural businesses and improved technology could dampen the demand for workers and managers in larger nurseries and greenhouses.
Related to Nursery Manager: Job Description, Duties, Salary and Outlook
- Recently Updated
Sports agents handle all aspects of the financial and legal matters of their professional athlete clients. A love of sports...
Travel agents provide customized service for clients and make arrangements for transportation, hotel reservations, and car...
In a variety of industries and professional settings, organizations need to ensure production quality. A quality assurance...
A nurse case manager is the liaison between the healthcare provider and the patient. He or she works to coordinate the best...
- Front Desk Manager: Wages, Duties, Requirements and Career Information
- Be an Information Systems Security Manager: Career Roadmap
- Online Dental Office Manager Course and Class Information
- Medical Engineer: Job Description & Career Info
- Telecommunications License and Credential Information
- Pediatric Occupational Therapy Technician: Job Requirements
- What Is a Bachelors Degree and What Is Required to Obtain One?
- The Future of OpenCourseWare: Kate James Talks About The Next Decade of OCW at MIT
- Purchasing Supervisor Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Professional Counseling?
- Recreation Vehicle Mechanic: Job Info & Career Requirements
- Optician Assistant: Employment Outlook & Requirements
- Brick Masons Employment Info and Requirements for Starting a Career in Brick Masonry
- Health Information Technology Career Education in Sandy, Utah
- Embroidery Professions Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career As a Professional Embroiderer
- Computer Systems Engineer Job Info for Students Considering a Career in Computer Systems Engineering