Online Building Inspector Schools: How to Choose
Building inspectors check that buildings are constructed safely and according to appropriate local, state and national building codes. Online education programs for building inspectors are available at the certificate and associate degree levels.
How to Choose an Online School for Building Inspectors
A variety of online building inspection programs are available through various schools around the country; the most common programs are a home inspector certificate and building inspection technology associate degree.
List of Considerations
- Curriculum and career plan
- Program format
- On-campus components
Curriculum and Career Plan
Students may want to consider their desired career when selecting an online building inspector education program. The curriculum of a home inspector certificate program is typically centered on the inspection needs of residential buildings, while building inspection technology programs include instruction on a wider variety of inspection jobs, such as commercial or industrial buildings.
Not all online building inspection programs have the same format. Some programs are very flexible, with a single due date at the end of the class by which all material must be submitted. Others have no due date at all and allow students work at their own pace. Still other program formats have a traditional class schedule, with strict assignment due dates and online attendance requirements for lectures or class discussions; often times these programs can be completed faster than a flexible program.
Some online associate degree programs in building inspection require field trips or on-campus attendance for hands-on training or testing.
Online Program Options for Building Inspectors
Online Home Inspector Certificate
A home inspector certificate program is often intended as an entry-level or preparatory program for those who wish to begin a career as building inspectors for residential settings. Students in this fully online program often complete and submit assignments over the Internet and communicate with their professor via e-mail and online chat rooms. Common course topics include:
- Soils and foundations
- Building codes
- Inspection planning
- Building code administration
Online Associate of Applied Science in Building Inspection Technology
Associate's degree programs in building inspection technology are often offered as hybrid programs that include some courses offered online form and others that require students to attend campus or complete field work experience. This program includes extra coursework that prepare students to work with commercial and industrial buildings, as well as residential homes. Some courses common to this degree program include:
- Plumbing codes
- Electrical codes
- Energy conservation
- Fire suppression
- Plumbing and field inspection
Related to Online Building Inspector Schools: How to Choose
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a city building inspector. Research the education requirements, training information and experience...
Building inspectors can work for municipalities, state governments, federal agencies and private firms, and may work...
Building inspectors ensure the quality and safety of buildings. They must be familiar with local building codes and have a...
A foreclosure inspector examines the physical condition of houses, buildings, and other properties under foreclosure by banks...
- Online Building Inspector Classes, Courses and Training Programs
- Commercial Building Inspector Training Programs and Courses
- Mechanical Inspectors: Job Description & Requirements
- Online Diplomas and Certificates in a Medical Field: Program Info
- Graphics Engineer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Legal Nursing Consultant: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Joinery Apprenticeships: Program Information and Requirements
- Colorado Springs, CO Job Outlook: Overview of the Fastest Growing Careers in Colorado Springs
- Columbus Career Outlook: Top Growing Career Opportunities in Columbus, Ohio
- Cartoon Artists Job Information for Recent Art Graduates Pursuing a Career in Cartooning and Other Cartoon Arts Professions
- Web Design Schools in Colorado Springs