Online Courses and Classes in Ancient History
Online classes in ancient history are offered at several institutions and can be completed fully online. The most common online courses in ancient history are profiled in this article.
Online courses in ancient history are available to students in undergraduate or graduate degree programs, as well as to those seeking personal enrichment. Topics in ancient history are covered through the history, anthropology, archaeology, humanities or classical studies departments of most schools. Many aspects of ancient history may be covered in online courses, including the origins of western civilization, the early Americas and the history of art, political systems and science.
Listing of Online Ancient History Courses
The following course summaries detail the curriculum of commonly offered online ancient history courses.
Origins of Western Civilization Course
This course is usually offered at the undergraduate level, and it explores the cultures that are considered the basis of the modern Western world. The civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean, North Africa and the Middle East are studied.
Ancient History Survey Course
A general ancient history survey course includes studies of major ancient civilizations. Not only are ancient Rome and Greece explored, but Africa, Meso-America, and ancient India and China also are examined. Topics include social and political structures, agriculture, art and historic religions.
Ancient Rome and Greece Course
The parallel and intertwined histories of Rome and Greece are reviewed chronologically in this course. A typical course covers major historical figures, literature, art and archaeological evidence and artifacts. In many cases, courses connect the classical world and the modern world.
Pre-Columbian America Course
An ancient Americas course may cover both North and South American indigenous cultures. Anthropological and archaeological evidence is presented in context with the history and culture of native civilizations, such as the Aztec Empire, the Inca, the Maya, the Chaco culture and other Southwestern U.S. cultures.
Related to Online Courses and Classes in Ancient History
- Recently Updated
Learn about a career as an ancient history teacher. Read the job description, duties, education requirements, salary and...
For better or worse, college campuses have been the locations of some major historical events that continue to shape the world....
The goal of the USGenWeb Project, which began in 1997, is to transcribe and upload every U.S. Federal Census into the USGenWeb...
What was it like to live with the Brönte family? Who was the real Catherine de Medici behind the crown? How did women live in...
- Study Shows 'Millennials' May Be the Most Educated Generation in History
- Celebrating Public Radio Day: The History of Public Radio
- Military History Career Options: Information and Requirements
- Business Management Degree Program Overviews
- Masters Degree in Elementary Counseling: Program Overview
- Graduate Degrees in Computer Science: Program Options
- Health Education Doctoral Programs: Degree Overviews
- Certified Pharmacist Technician Career Information and Requirements for Becoming a Certified Pharmacist Tech
- Instrumentation Engineers Job Description and Info About an Instrumentation Engineering Career
- Respiratory Therapy Technician Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Respiratory Medicine
- Insurance Coding Certification