Online High School Guidance Counselor Courses and Classes Overview
Online courses in high school guidance counseling are typically offered through graduate degree programs in school counseling or guidance counseling. This article briefly outlines a few of the courses and programs available to online students.
Courses that train individuals to become high school guidance counselors cover the techniques used to advise young students on academic, social and emotional issues. Though most programs aren't specific to a grade or educational level, they do offer coursework geared to high school, teens and life planning. Curricula include required and elective courses and an internship. Some school counseling programs can also be a first step toward licensure.
List of Popular Distance Learning High School Guidance Counselor Courses
Below are some of the high school guidance courses that can be found online.
Introduction to School Counseling Course
Students learn the basics of the counseling field, including counseling ethics and history, along with the issues, philosophies and basic techniques used in the discipline. The course explores common topics like counseling standards, developmental education and the role of school community members from administrator to parent.
Counseling for Adolescents Course
The course covers key theories of childhood psychology with particular attention to adolescence. Students explore the stages of child development and appropriate counseling practices for each developmental stage.
Career Counseling Course
Students gain broad knowledge of academic advising, career development and vocational training. They learn assessment skills and methods for life planning.
Testing and Assessing Course
The course introduces students to various forms of standardized testing, including common techniques and applicable testing methods. Students also learn about the research and statistics behind testing and explore the factors that affect valid outcomes.
Related to Online High School Guidance Counselor Courses and Classes Overview
- Recently Updated
A high school guidance counselor or school counselor provides care for student's mental health, assists with academic planning...
Learn how to become a guidance counselor. Research the job description, education and licensing requirements and find out how...
School guidance counselors can play a significant role in the lives of students. The majority of school guidance counselors...
Learn how to become a Christian counselor. Research the job description and the education and licensing requirements and find...
- How to Become a Grief Counselor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Loan Counselor: Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Loan Counselor
- AA Counselor: Job Outlook & Career Info
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Computer Systems Security Degree Overview
- Masters Degree in Auditing: Program Overviews
- Bachelor of Heating Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technology: Degree Overview
- Online Health Inspector Classes, Courses and Training Information
- Become a Transfer Admissions Counselor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselor: Career Info
- Online Mechanic Classes and Training Programs
- HVAC Dispatcher Jobs: Career Options, Requirements and Duties
- Financial Management Degree and Certificate Program Information