PTSD Counseling Certificate Program Information
Learn about trauma counseling certificate programs for mental health professionals. Keep reading to find out about admission requirements, coursework, certification and continuing education options.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) occurs after a person has experienced a traumatic event and suffers from a resulting anxiety disorder. Mental health practitioners, including nurses and social workers, may obtain in-depth training in various treatment methods through a trauma counseling certificate program. Admission requirements vary, but most programs call for a master's degree and professional licensure. Graduates may be eligible to apply for national certification as PTSD counselors.
Certificate training programs for the treatment of PTSD may be quite different, depending upon the institution. Some are conducted in a short, intensive weekend, while others take place over a period of 18 months. Graduate-level psychology programs may offer certificates in conjunction with the degree program. Students are taught assessment, diagnosis and cognitive behavioral therapy treatment skills for patients who have experienced stressors such as military combat, abuse or assault, an automobile accident or a natural disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake.
Applicants to clinical training programs in the treatment of PTSD should be mental health practitioners. Some programs require only a bachelor's degree, but most require a minimum of a master's degree. Common participants include psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and nurses. Current licensure as a mental health practitioner, according to local regulations, is generally required to participate in a certificate program.
Clinical training programs incorporate classroom lectures and seminars, but much of the training involves hands-on treatment of patients. Additionally, programs may be specific to various types of cognitive behavioral training therapy. Specific course topics may include, depending upon the program's emphasis:
- Trauma counseling
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing
- Etiology and assessment of PTSD
- Assessment and treatment of sleep disturbance
- Traumatic brain injury
- Assessment and treatment of deployment-related depression
- Prolonged exposure therapy
- Traumatic effects on brain development and the body
Career Outlook and Salary Info
The employment rate for mental health counselors was expected to rise at a faster than average rate of 36% between 2010 and 2020, according to 2010 data reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Most mental health counselors have a master's degree, as it is a requirement for licensure in many states. Mental health counselors earned a median wage of $40,080 (www.bls.gov).
All licensed mental health counselors, social workers and physicians are required to complete continuing education hours. Additionally, many counselors pursue doctoral degrees. The exception is the field of social work, where a master's degree is generally considered the terminal degree.
Certification options are also available through the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. Areas of specialization include sexual abuse, domestic violence, bereavement and acute trauma stress management. The programs require completion of an application and examination in the specialty area.
Related to PTSD Counseling Certificate Program Information
- Recently Updated
Counselors work in a variety of fields to give aid and direction to people in need of guidance. Whether the field is disaster...
Read about Ph.D. programs in addictions counseling and examine the educational prerequisites. See popular career choices as...
Many resources can help students find scholarships for master's programs in counseling, including online scholarship databases,...
Discover what it takes to earn a Master of Science degree in counseling psychology. Read a program overview, and learn about...
- Top Schools for School Counseling and Guidance Programs
- Job Coaching Vs. Career Counseling: What's the Difference?
- Genetic Counseling Jobs: Salaries, Duties and Requirements
- Audio Video (AV) Technician: Job Description and Requirements
- Book Illustration Education and Career Information
- Top School for Business Degree Programs - Columbus, OH
- Top Ranked Networking Degree Program - Miami, FL
- Spiritual Counseling Career Info and Education Requirements
- Educational Counseling Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- Top School in Atlanta Offering Security Professional Training
- Top Ranked Networking Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA
- Best School for a Master's in Health Care Management - Austin, TX