Ph.D. in Special Education Leadership: Degree Program Information
Learn about degrees in special education leadership. Get information on doctoral degrees, course requirements and career prospects to make an informed decision about your education.
Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education Leadership
Graduates of a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Special Education Leadership program should be trained in law, policy, finance and instructional issues as related to the education of disabled learners. Students learn a range of concepts, including how to apply research in various school settings, advocate for disabled students and understand the oversight of special education programs. Graduates go on to work in several roles as faculty, consultants or administrators at district and national levels. Students can tailor their program by selecting from topics such as literacy and language to meet their career goals.
Doctoral programs in the educational field generally require that candidates possess a master's degree. Some programs require a graduate degree in special education or a related field, such as school psychology, educational administration or communication disorders. Applicants may also be required to submit proof of teaching experience, such as a professional resume, and licensing verification.
Students are trained to understand complex issues in special education and apply their research skills to policy making, staff management and child development. Programs typically offer the ability to tailor a program and specialize in areas such as funding, law or superintendency. Programs may include the following coursework:
- Policy and disability
- Staff supervision and evaluation
- Special education finance
- Special education instructional strategies
- Theories of intelligence
- Educators as facilitators
- Education and social change
Popular Career Options
Graduates of programs in special education leadership enjoy multiple career options in the development of special education curricula, human resources administration or research. Graduates are able to find career opportunities with government agencies, school boards or with consulting firms. Some popular career options include the following:
- Faculty member
- PK-12 teacher
- Special education consultant
Related to Ph.D. in Special Education Leadership: Degree Program Information
- Recently Updated
Institutions of higher learning require specially trained management. Online certificate programs in higher education...
See our list of the top free online education leadership courses. Learn about what courses are available and what...
A master's or doctorate degree in higher education leadership prepares students to be successful at the highest levels...
Traditionally, Ph.D. degrees focus on research or graduate-school teaching in a particular field. While this is...
- Master's Degree in Higher Education Leadership: Program Overview
- Master of Arts (MA in Education): Educational Leadership Degree Overview
- Education Specialist (Ed.S.) in Educational Leadership: Program Info
- Top School for Business Degree Programs - Columbus, OH
- Top Degree Programs in Business Marketing - Denver, CO
- Top University with a Bachelor of Psychology Degree - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Management Information Systems - Atlanta, GA
- Top Ranked Teacher Education Program in Instructional Leadership - Chicago, IL
- Engaged Students and Experiential Learning: Education Portal Speaks to Diana Laufenberg at the Science Leadership Academy
- Top Business School - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Business School - Dallas, TX
- Top Accounting and Financial Management University - Indianapolis, IN