Salary and Career Info for an Armored Car Driver
Armored car drivers or guards play a crucial role in the safe transportation of money and valuables. This job can be labor intensive and often necessitates firearms.
Armored Car Driver Salary Information
According to Payscale.com, as of November 2013, armored car drivers made a median salary of $30,711 annually. Applicants who have previous armored car experience generally earn more money than those without experience. Additionally, it is helpful to already have obtained the necessary firearms permits required before applying for positions.
Armored car drivers are hired on either a full-time or part-time basis. Overtime hours may be available and can help increase a driver's annual salary. Additionally, many armored car companies offer benefits packages, including 401k plans, insurance and vacation time.
Armored Car Driver Career Information
The primary responsibility of an armored car driver is to safely transport money or valuables from one place to another. They are also responsible for the loading and unloading of the vehicle upon arrival, as well as completing the appropriate delivery documentation.
Armored Car Driver Job Requirements
Most states require armored car drivers to be at least 21 years old and hold a high school diploma or the equivalent. Applicants must also have a valid driver's license and a clear driving history. They should be able to lift up to 50 pounds since the bags they transport are often extremely heavy. Additionally, applicants will also be required to pass physical examinations and drug testing. Perhaps most importantly, drivers need to be trustworthy since they are often responsible for large sums of money.
Most armored car drivers need to have weapons training either before they are hired or shortly thereafter. Since armored trucks can be targets for criminals, drivers also must be able to work in a potentially dangerous work environment.
Career Outlook for Armored Car Drivers
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expected employment opportunities for security guards, in general, to increase by 12% from 2012-2022 (www.bls.gov). The employee turnover rate tends to be high in this occupation, making job prospects even more favorable.
Related to Salary and Career Info for an Armored Car Driver
- Recently Updated
Don't be another student who gets scammed by the car salesman.
Car mechanics are responsible for servicing and repairing automobiles. Mechanics work on brakes, engines, ignition control...
Associate degree and certificate programs in auto body repair, collision repair and painting or auto body technology offer car...
Need help with DIY car repair? Looking for the latest auto industry news? How about tales from a female NASCAR mechanic? Check...
- Online Electrical Car Systems Course Information
- Car Insurance Adjuster Schools: How to Choose
- Former Garbage Truck Driver Nominated for Prestigious Writing Prize
- Magistrate: Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Magistrate
- Cardiac Catheterization Technologist: Job & Career Info
- Refrigeration Engineers: Job Description & Career Info
- What Is Multidisciplinary Studies?
- Online Car Mechanic Training Programs and Courses
- Volkswagen Car Mechanic: Employment Info & Career Requirements
- Commercial Landscaping Designer: Job Outlook and Requirements
- Data Communications Technician: Job Duties & Career Requirements
- Systems Analyst: Job Description and Employment Info for a System Analyst