Salary and Job Outlook for a Naturopathic Doctor
Naturopathic doctors are primary care physicians who are trained in modalities of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) and practice in public and private clinics, as well as education and research. Naturopathic doctors have seen a rise in job opportunities over the past decade.
Naturopathic Doctor Salary Information
The last member survey published by the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges, (AANMC) was in 2004. It found that naturopaths operating or working in a busy private practice earned salaries of $80,000-$90,000 a year, with indications that salaries could reach $200,000, though most practitioners are self-employed (www.aanmc.org). AANMC pointed out that newly graduated or resident naturopathic doctors earned approximately $20,000-$30,000 a year. Payscale.com indicated that the median salary for naturopathic physicians as of November 2013 was $62,339.
The goal of a naturopathic doctor is to gain a complete understanding of a patient's history and lifestyle to treat the whole person. The path to healing is based on a blend of modern diagnosing, and alternative and traditional methods of healing. Naturopathic doctors use forms of treatment, such as exercise, nutrition and herbal supplements. Many times naturopathic doctors work in collaboration with allopathic or traditional doctors to come up with a course of healing for a patient.
Naturopathic Doctor Job Outlook
The AANMC showed a positive outlook in August 2010 for job growth in naturopathic medicine. Overall, health care occupations were expected to increase from 2010-2020 based on BLS predictions. According to the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges, over 3,000 naturopathic doctors were practicing in the U.S. in 2004, a number that had tripled over the previous ten years.
It's common for naturopathic doctors to start a private practice or partner with other complementary and alternative medicine practitioners, and naturopathic doctors increasingly work in integrative medicine departments at hospitals and clinics. AANMC also pointed out that naturopathic doctors work in public health, research and development, wellness education and natural pharmacy.
Related to Salary and Job Outlook for a Naturopathic Doctor
- Recently Updated
Naturopathic medicine is founded on the holistic philosophy that each part of a system, such as the human body, is connected to...
A naturopathic nutritionist creates eating programs that seek to promote wellness through a balance of healthy foods. The core...
Alternative medicine programs combine disciplines such as herbology, nutrition, massage, homeopathy and spiritual wellness....
Find out how you can have a career as a naturopathic treatment practitioner. See what the education and training requirements...
- Online Alternative Medicine Schools: How to Choose
- Alternative Medicine: Common Adult School Programs for Alt Medicine
- Online Classes for Naturopathic Medicine
- Business Finance Degree Program Overviews by Degree Level
- Database Administration Degree and Training Program Overviews
- Insurance Underwriting Schools: Info on Choosing a School
- Schools for Car Stereo Repair Technicians: How to Choose
- South Plainfield, New Jersey (NJ) Colleges
- Foreign Policy Professional Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in Foreign Policy
- TV Director Employment Info and Requirements for a Career in TV Directing
- Special Education Teacher Job Info and Qualifications Needed to Become a Special Education Teacher