Support Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
Support managers are responsible for the coordination of technical and information systems in an organization. They direct staff, determine necessary technology advances and educate employees on the use of software and hardware used in an organization's day-to-day operations.
Job Description of a Support Manager
Support managers work with other management staff to determine and implement specific technical needs and priorities of an organization. Overseeing one or more information technology (IT) departments, support managers are responsible for maintaining a dynamic knowledge base of technical solutions to ensure that the organization's IT infrastructure is as efficient and productive as possible.
Support Manager Job Duties
Support managers supervise the maintenance and security of technical services and information within an organization, as well as ensuring adequate training and abilities of IT employees. Information and technology services departments, including help desk support, network security administration and IT purchasing may have a single supervisor or a hierarchy of managers assigning tasks, executing projects or handling various IT operations. Often delegating duties, support managers are ultimately responsible for the performance of systems and employees. Some common functions of a support manager include:
- Coordinating IT projects
- Implementing new software and technologies
- Training subordinate and management staff
- Providing guidance for problems and questions
- Participating in business meetings
Educational and Skills Requirements of Support Managers
Employers often require a bachelor's degree in computer science or a similar field for support management roles. A master's degree, especially a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a technology-related emphasis, is extremely attractive to employers. Graduates of an MBA program with IT studies generally receive education with extensive business and management training, as well as technical proficiencies in networking, communications and business systems.
Often, employers prefer familiarity or expertise with specific software or technical resources utilized within their organization. Applicants may demonstrate this expertise by achieving professional certifications, which are usually offered through technology manufacturers or industry standards organizations. Certification in business management may also prove beneficial. Several years' experience in the technology or management fields is often required for support manager positions.
Salary and Employment Outlook
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projected a 15% increase in employment of computer and information systems managers during the 2012-2022 decade. Additionally, the BLS reported that the median annual salary for computer and information systems managers was $123,950 as of May 2013.
Related to Support Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Still deciding on a career path? How does 'Manager of Innovation' sound? Education-Portal.com recently caught up with Daisy...
Commercial excavation managers require little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties, and certification...
Although construction management and architectural design both play a significant role in the building of residential homes,...
City managers, also known as chief executives, are responsible for establishing government policies and developing laws, rules...
- Salary and Career Info for a Geriatric Case Manager
- Nurse Case Manager Course and Class Overviews
- How to Become a Client Relationship Manager: Career Roadmap
- SQF Auditor: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top School in St. Louis for Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement
- Dessert and Pastry Chef: Educational Requirements
- Duties and Responsibilities of a Compliance Specialist
- How to Become a Paint Store Manager: Education and Career Roadmap
- Business Office Manager Classes and Courses Overview
- Music Merchandiser: Overview of Music Merchandising Career Education
- Admissions Director: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Public Administration