The Differences Between Online and Traditional Classroom Educations
You may be debating whether you should attend classes on campus or online. Before you make a decision, read the following pros and cons of Web-based and traditional classroom experiences.
The traditional schooling experience requires you to attend classes in person and on campus. It makes sense to attend classes in person if you decide to live in the dorms or are an incoming freshmen who wants the real college experience. There are certainly more opportunities to join clubs, associations, or fraternities/sororities while taking classes on campus.
Also, you may need additional assistance from guidance counselors and professors, which is more readily available on campus. Traditional classes may be a better choice for students who aren't very savvy with technology or who enjoy interacting with teachers and professors face-to-face.
In addition, there are majors that require more hands-on training during class, such as:
- Automobile Mechanic/Technician
- Computer Science/ Engineering
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning Technician
Online education is also known as distance learning and consists of taking classes via the internet. More and more students take online classes because of the flexibility and convenience it provides. You can attend class sessions from the comfort of your home and complete assignments at almost any time of the day.
Online classes are great for individuals who have a demanding work schedule and family responsibilities. In addition, online classes are more cost efficient because they doesn't require any commuting, allowing you to save on gas and the wear and tear of your vehicle. Online courses are also great for individuals in the military or who travel frequently. The distance learning format allows students to pursue education through an out-of-state school without having to transfer residence.
However, there are some clear cons to online education, including:
- Limited direct contact with colleagues and professors
- Fewer opportunities to join on campus clubs and extracurricular activities
You can take free online courses and earn college credit on Education Portal.
Related to The Differences Between Online and Traditional Classroom Educations
- Recently Updated
Voting has begun for the first-ever OCW People's Choice Awards. Please complete the online ballot to vote for the best...
In the second installment of our interview series leading up to this Saturday's Free Comic Book Day, Education-Portal.com...
Free books can be found everywhere--if you know where to look. Below you'll find 50 places offering free books online,...
Perhaps our posts from this week on studying abroad have you in a global frame of mind. But what if your passport needs to be...
- Study Finds That Classroom Feedback Encourages Student Satisfaction and Effective Learning
- Scholars Grow More Comfortable with Online Research
- 20 Places Where Bookworms Go to Read and Socialize Online
- Top Ranked Hospitality Management School - Seattle, WA
- Become a Reading Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Top School in Indianapolis for Health Sciences & Administration
- Top Computer Information Systems Management Degree in Denver