Top Degree Program for a Medical Laboratory Technician - Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona has few not-for-profit schools offering medical laboratory technician degree programs. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
Top Medical Laboratory Technician Degree Programs in Phoenix, Arizona
There are few not-for-profit schools in Phoenix, Arizona offering medical laboratory technician degree programs. Phoenix College and Arizona State University both have programs that prepare and train students to take the national certification exams to become medical laboratory technicians. These schools are both located in Phoenix. Phoenix College is the winner with an associate's degree program that transfers to many 4-year universities. Although Arizona State University boasts a higher graduation rate and awards slightly more degrees, it only offers a degree completion program.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Phoenix College||Arizona State University|
|Rankings||N/A||139th for National Universities*|
|Location||Phoenix, Arizona||Phoenix, Arizona|
|School Type||2-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$1,854**||$9,724**|
|Medical Laboratory Technician Degree Programs Offered||Certificate, associate's||Bachelor's|
|Medical Laboratory Technician Certificates/Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||30**||35**|
|Most Popular Medical Laboratory Technician Program (2011-2012)||Associate's (27 awarded)**||Bachelor's (35 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||12% (2008)**||32% (2005)**|
|Noteworthy||Part of a community college system that ranks as one of the largest in the nation***||The Academic Ranking of World Universities ranks ASU 79th on the list of top universities in the world****|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Phoenix College, ****Arizona State University.
Winner: Phoenix College
- The medical laboratory technician program holds an accreditation from the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
- The NCES reports the student to teacher ratio was 18:1 in 2012
- Phoenix College has an open admission policy
Phoenix College offers an associate's degree in medical laboratory science which prepares students to take the national exam and enter the workforce as medical laboratory technicians. Some of the courses students in this program are required to take include clinical chemistry, microbiology and body fluid analysis. Students must also complete practicum experiences in medical offices or laboratories. Once students have completed the degree program they will be eligible to take an exam offered by American Society for Clinical Pathology to become a certified medical laboratory technician. Graduates of this program are also eligible to continue their education and earn a bachelor's degree. Phoenix College also offers a certificate program, which is available to students who hold an associate's degree. This 36 credit program allows students to sit for the exam to earn national certification.
Runner-Up #1: Arizona State University
- There is a projected 14 percent increase in the need for medical laboratory technicians between 2008 and 2018
- NCES reports the student to teacher ratio was 25:1 in 2012
- In 2010, the medical annual wage was $56,130 for medical laboratory technicians
- The NCES reports 89% of students were admitted in fall 2011
- U.S. News and World Report states Arizona State University has the largest undergraduate enrollment in the nation
The program offered at Arizona State University is designed for students who hold an associate's degree in medical laboratory science. It is not a 4 year program, but rather a degree completion program. Students enrolled in the bachelor degree program can expect to take classes in clinical hematology, microbiology, immunohematology and immunology. Students begin the pathway by completing the first 4 terms at a community college, which leads to an associate's degree. To be eligible to enter the bachelor's degree program, students will need to possess a 2.5 GPA in all courses. Once students have been admitted to the program, they will complete the rest of the coursework and practicums.
Related to Top Degree Program for a Medical Laboratory Technician - Phoenix, AZ
- Recently Updated
Learn about the curriculum and requirements of a medical laboratory technician certificate program. Find out about employment...
Research associate's degree programs for aspiring medical laboratory technicians. Get information on classroom and clinical...
Medical laboratory technicians must hold laboratory experience in the field to become certified; therefore, students typically...
Medical laboratory scientists, also known as medical laboratory technologists, conduct lab tests related to the detection and...
- Top Schools for Medical Laboratory Technology
- Top School in Indianapolis for Lab Tech Training
- Medical Lab Technician Education Requirements
- Become a Pediatric Pathologist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Top Schools for Earning an Interior Design Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Cartoon Artist: Profile of a Career in Cartoon Art
- Wildlife Conservationist: Salary, Duties, Outlook and Requirements
Perfect School Search
- Arizona Cities
- Nearby States