Top Family Law Programs: List of Top U.S. Schools
A Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) is required to practice law. A lawyer who specializes in family law may take part in divorce and child support proceedings, child advocacy and adoptions and work with minors in need of supervision. Law schools that offer substantial family law coursework may offer a concentration or a certificate in family law. Students may take classes in gender studies, contracts, domestic violence and cultural law.
Best Schools with Programs in Family Law
1. Columbia University in the City of New York, NY
Students in Columbia Law School's J.D. program or LL.M. program may choose from a wide variety of available coursework in family law, both lectures and seminars. Topics include trusts and estates, Jewish law, welfare law and meaning in motherhood. Three family law clinics - sexuality and gender law, prisoners and families, and child advocacy - are available to students who are accepted to the clinical education program. U.S. News & World Report ranked Columbia fourth among law schools in 2010.
- Address: 116 St. and Broadway, New York, New York 10027
- Phone Number: (212) 854-1754
2. Indiana University - Bloomington
Maurer School of Law students specializing in family law as part of earning a J.D. degree learn to work with current policy issues, such as gay marriage, abortion and gender roles; practical family issues such as adoption, divorce and division of property are also explored. Coursework includes children and the law, estate planning, disability law and feminist law. Indiana University was ranked 27th among law programs by U.S. News & World Report in 2010.
- Address: 107 S. Indiana Ave., Bloomington, IN 47405
- Phone Number: (812) 855-4848
Good Family Law Programs
|College/University Name||Total Student Enrollment||Address||Phone Number|
|University of Florida||50,691||355 Tigert Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611||(352) 392-3261|
|Indiana University - Bloomington||42,347||107 S. Indiana Ave., Bloomington, IN 47405||(812) 855-4848|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||41,674||Ann Arbor, MI 48109||(734) 764-1817|
|University of California - Berkeley||35,830||Berkeley, CA 94720||(510) 642-6000|
|University of Colorado at Boulder||33,010||Regent Dr. at Broadway, Boulder, CO 80309||(303) 492-1411|
|University of Iowa||28,987||101 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1316||(319) 335-3500|
|University at Buffalo||28,881||3435 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14214||(716) 645-2000|
|Harvard University||27,651||Massachusetts Hall, Cambridge, MA 02138||(617) 495-1000|
|DePaul University||25,072||55 E. Jackson, Chicago, IL 60604||(312) 362-8000|
|Columbia University in the City of New York||24,230||116 St. and Broadway, New York, NY 10027||(212) 854-1754|
|University of Oregon||22,335||110 Johnson Hall, Eugene, OR 97403||(541) 346-1000|
|Syracuse University||19,638||Syracuse, NY 13244||(315) 443-1870|
|Georgetown University||16,520||37th and O St. NW, Washington, DC 20057||(202) 687-0100|
|Loyola University Chicago||15,879||1032 W. Sheridan Rd., Chicago, IL 60660||(312) 915-6000|
|Emory University||12,930||408 Administration Bldg., 201 Dowman Dr., Atlanta, GA 30322||(404) 727-6123|
|Hofstra University||12,068||100 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549||(516) 463-6600|
|Washburn University||6,652||1700 S.W. College Ave., Topeka, KS 66621||(785) 670-1010|
|University of Baltimore||6,265||Charles at Mount Royal, Baltimore, MD 21201||(410) 837-4200|
Related to Top Family Law Programs: List of Top U.S. Schools
- Recently Updated
A family law specialist is an attorney who helps shore up families by advocating for spouses, children and the...
A family law paralegal provides assistance to lawyers specializing in domestic issues such as marriage and divorce,...
Education to become a Family Law Professional typically will require a minimum of seven years, made up of a bachelor's...
As tuition costs rise and employment opportunities disappear, more and more people are questioning the value of a law...
- New Washington State Law Aids Military Veterans in Job Market
- How to Survive Law School
- Overview of the Different Fields of Law
- Vermont (VT): Colleges, Career Schools, and Universities
- Best School for Biomedical Engineering Technology Degrees - Columbus, OH
- Top Master's Degree Program in Clinical Psychology - Chicago, IL
- Top University with a Medical Office Management Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA
- Bush's No Child Left Behind Law Leaves Certain Children Behind
- How to Become a Family Law Mediator: Education and Career Roadmap
- Top Criminal Justice and Corrections Administration School - Los Angeles, CA
- Top University with a Master's in Public Administration Degree - Arlington, VA
- How CLEP Exams Work to Earn a Debt-Free College Degree