Top Ranked Business Accounting Degree Programs - Nashville, TN
Nashville, TN, has few schools with programs in business accounting. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
Best Business Accounting Programs in Nashville, TN
Among the 16 schools located within 15 miles of downtown Nashville are four that offer programs in accounting. Based on U.S. News & World Report rankings and degree options, the best business accounting programs in the area are: Vanderbilt University, Belmont University and Lipscomb University.
First-place Vanderbilt University is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and the school also ranked #17 among national universities in 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report. The AACSB also accredits second-place Belmont University, which ranked #7 among regional universities in the South for 2014. While third-place Lipscomb University is not accredited by the AACSB, it did rank #20 among regional universities in the South for 2014. All three schools offer undergraduate and/or graduate programs in accounting.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Vanderbilt University||Belmont University||Lipscomb University|
|Rankings||#17 for national universities in 2014*|
#30 among graduate business schools in 2013 (national)*
#30 among graduate finance schools in 2013 (national)*
|#194 among undergraduate business programs in 2013 (national)*|
#7 among southern regional universities in 2014*
|#20 among southern regional universities in 2014*|
|Location||Nashville, TN||Nashville, TN||Nashville, TN|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|| $42,118 (undergraduate);|
|Accounting Degree Levels Offered||Master's degrees**||Bachelor's and master's degrees**||Bachelor's and master's degrees**|
|Accounting Degrees (all levels) Awarded in 2011-2012||27**||63**||72**|
|Most Popular Accounting Program in 2011-2012||Master's in accounting (27 awarded)**||Master's in accounting (39 awarded)**||Bachelor's and master's in accounting (36 awarded at each level)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||92%**||67%**||56%**|
|Noteworthy||All students in the Master of Accountancy in Valuation program receive an internship offer***||Approximately one third of graduates receive job offers from major accounting firms****||100% job placement rate for accounting graduates*****|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Vanderbilt University, ****Belmont University, *****Lipscomb University.
Winner: Vanderbilt University
- #11 among best value schools for 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report
- #12 on U.S. News & World Report High School Counselor Rankings list for 2013
- Students at the university's Owen School of Management have access to four research and learning centers
- 8:1 student-faculty ratio, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Through the Owen School of Management at Vanderbilt University, graduate students can pursue a Master of Accountancy or a Master of Accountancy in Valuation. Both programs include a CPA (certified public accountant) exam review course.
The Master of Accountancy program requires 30 credits of coursework and allows for an optional auditing internship. Course topics include studies in accounting information systems, business ethics, taxation and strategic management.
Requirements for the 30-credit accountancy in valuation program include courses in financial economics, models and reporting, advanced cost accounting and corporate value management. Students can also participate in an optional internship or take six credits of electives.
Runner-Up #1: Belmont University
- #2 among up-and-coming schools in the South for 2013, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Included in Bloomberg Businessweek's 2013 list of best undergraduate schools, as noted on the school website
- Undergraduate accounting majors can earn four graduate credit hours during their final semester
- 10-week Summer Accounting Institute for students entering a Master of Accountancy program
The College of Business at Belmont University offers a 128-credit-hour Bachelor of Business Administration, as well as a Master of Accountancy. In addition to 40 credits of business courses, undergraduates can complete a 21-credit concentration in accounting that includes topics in cost and intermediate accounting, auditing and business data management. Unique to the curriculum is a study of federal income taxes.
At the graduate level, the university offers a 30-credit, non-thesis Master of Accountancy program that satisfies the state's educational requirements for the CPA exam. All students must take courses in entrepreneurship, leadership and international business. Additional requirements include 14-16-credit hours in accounting, an internship and electives chosen from the Master of Business Administration program. In addition to learning about the procedures associated with government, healthcare and nonprofit accounting, graduate students can pursue topics in computer security and external auditing.
Runner-Up #2: Lipscomb University
- University's College of Business is approved by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Adult degree program allows undergraduates to pursue a major or minor in accounting, either in the evening or online
- 100% of first-time, full-time students received financial aid during the 2011-2012 school year, according to the NCES
At Lipscomb University, students can pursue an undergraduate program in business with a 21-credit concentration in accounting. An accounting specialization is also available through the Master of Business program, and requirements include topics in current accounting practices, corporate administration and financial statement analysis. Similar coursework can be found in the 30-credit Master of Accountancy program. Depending on the degree plan, students may also conduct independent research or participate in an internship.
Additional programs include an 18-credit accounting minor and a 150-credit, combined Bachelor of Business Administration/Master of Accountancy program. Non-accounting majors with a degree or 60 credits of college coursework may also want to look into the university's 90-day certificate program, which can help to prepare them for the CPA exam.
Related to Top Ranked Business Accounting Degree Programs - Nashville, TN
- Recently Updated
The University of Texas at San Antonio is one of nine universities in the University of Texas System. Students interested in...
Because accounting is a core function of any business, business degree programs include basic accounting courses and...
Associate in Specialized Business degrees are not commonly found at public or private non-profit academic institutions....
The University of Texas (UT) at Arlington, TX, serves the Dallas-Fort Worth area with one of the largest accounting programs in...
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA): Corporate Accounting Degree Overview
- Associate of Business Science (ABS): Automated Accounting Degree Overview
- Associate of Business Science (ABS): Accounting Degree Overview
- Online Doctoral Degree in Social Work: Distance Learning PhD Info
- Executive Admin Assistant Diploma Program Overview
- Photogrammetry Careers: Job Information and Education Requirements
- Online Master of Marketing Communications: Program Overview
Perfect School Search
- Tennessee Cities
- Nearby States