Top Ranked Software Engineering School - Lexington, KY
Lexington, KY, has few schools with programs in software engineering. Find the best program for you by reading about one of these schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
There are only three schools located in or within 25 miles of Lexington, KY, that provide software engineering programs. Based on ranking, location and student population, the following university is considered a top school in Lexington for software engineering:
- Winner: The University of Kentucky is the only postsecondary institution of any type located directly in Lexington that offers degree programs in software engineering. It is also the largest school in terms of student enrollment that provides these types of programs in the Lexington area. Students can pursue a 4-year degree in computer engineering or a bachelor's, master's or doctorate in computer science, all of which offer coursework in software engineering.
School Info Chart
Note: Degrees offered and awarded statistics reflect degrees granted in computer engineering and computer science
|Category||University of Kentucky|
|Ranking||#129 (tie) Best National Universities (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $10,110 (in state); $21,192 (out-of-state)**|
|Software Engineering Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral|
|Software Engineering Bachelor's Degrees Awarded in 2012-2013||17**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||46%**|
|Noteworthy||Graduate computer engineering programs ranked #84 and graduate computer science programs ranked #90 among national universities (2015)*|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator
University of Kentucky
- Software engineering studies combine classroom work with hands-on lab experiences
- Work-study opportunities available to computer science students
- Computer engineering and computer science programs accredited by ABET
As th state's flagship institution, the University of Kentucky (UK) enrolls more than 28,000 students in undergraduate and graduate degree programs. UK offers courses and concentrations in software engineering through the College of Engineering's Department of Computer Science and its Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Both undergraduate and graduate studies are offered in computer science; students can also pursue a bachelor's degree in computer engineering.
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program combines software design and electrical engineering principles. Students take laboratory courses in physics and electrical engineering. Other courses include such topics as electronics, software engineering, operating systems, embedded systems and microcomputer organization. In the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program, students investigate, analyze and utilize algorithms to aid in the creation and maintenance of software applications. Courses may cover algorithm design and analysis, program design, software engineering, computer networks, programming languages and artificial intelligence.
The Master of Science in Computer Science program provides a thesis or non-thesis option. Those who choose the non-thesis option complete a project. Students independently explore general computer science and software development topics, attending seminars and allocating a significant amount of time to personal research.
Applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science program should hold a master's degree from UK or another accredited school. Students complete two years of residency, take the qualifying examination, then have up to ten years to complete the doctoral program. Like students in the master's degree program, they pursue independent research within the vast field of computer science, and may choose to specialize in software engineering.
Related to Top Ranked Software Engineering School - Lexington, KY
- Recently Updated
See our list of the top free online software engineering courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they...
Software design engineering professionals require some formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and...
Software engineering architects create and integrate software systems that support the business objectives of an organization....
Learn about the courses and requirements of a bachelor's degree in software engineering. Explore career and continuing...
- Master of Science (MS): Software Engineering Degree Overview
- Master of Science in Software Engineering: Online Degree
- Bachelor's in Software Engineering - Network Management: Degree Overview
- HVAC Controls Technician: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Careers in Private Security: Job Options and Requirements
- Cardiologist: Career Profile and Educational Requirements
- Top School in Pittsburgh for a Public Administration Degree
- Master of Computer Science: Software Engineering Degree Overview
- Associate of Software Engineering: Degree Overview
- Wildlife Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Certified Accounting Technician: Salary, Requirements and Duties
- Adoption Caseworker: Job Description and Education Requirements
Perfect School Search
- Kentucky Cities
- Nearby States