Top Ranked University with Graphic Design Degree Programs - Miami, FL
Miami has few schools with programs in graphic design. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
There are about 10 colleges within 25 miles of Miami that offer programs in graphic design. The three schools listed below are considered some of the top schools in the area for graphic design based on program options, opportunities for hands-on experience and school rankings.
- Winner: The University of Miami is the only nationally ranked school among these three. It is also the only school in the area to offer both bachelor's and master's degrees in graphic design.
- Runner Up #1: Miami Dade College's associate's degree program in graphic design offers plenty of opportunities for hands-on experience for students. The program emphasizes portfolio creation and business practices to prepare students for careers in graphic design.
- Runner Up #2: Broward College's graphic design associate's degree program features innovative courses covering the latest technology as well as opportunities for hands-on experience. Certificates can be earned along the route to the associate's degree.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Miami||Miami Dade College||Broward College|
|Ranking(s)|| 48th among top national universities* (2015)|
114th among fine arts graduate schools nationwide (2012)*
|N/A||2013 Aspen Prize finalist***|
|Location||Coral Gables, FL||Miami, FL||Ft. Lauderdale, FL|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-14)||$42,852**||$3,426 in-state; $11,955 out-of-state**||$2,542 in-state; $8,712 out-of-state**|
|Graphic Design Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's||Associate's||Associate's|
|Graphic Design Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2012-13||1**||N/A||13 (digital arts)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2007 Entering Class||82%**||32%**||32%**|
|Noteworthy||Program emphasizes interdisciplinary studies and independent research in visual arts||Co-operative work experience available for graphic design students||Internships are offered to graphic design students|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***The Aspen Institute.
Winner: University of Miami
- Undergraduate program offers internship options to students
- The Department of Art and Art History operates three art galleries
- Students can regularly attend symposiums and lectures with visiting artists.
The University of Miami (UM) is a private, not-for-profit university with nearly 17,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It has a low student-faculty ratio of 12-to-1 and offers around 180 programs and majors. In addition to the main Coral Gables campus, the university has a medical campus, a waterfront campus and two research campuses.
UM's Department of Art and Art History offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art with a concentration in graphic design and a Master of Fine Arts in Illustration and Multimedia. The BFA program requires students to create and submit a portfolio of their work and participate in an exhibition in their final year. Students take foundational design and art history courses, as well as courses in graphic design and multimedia. The master's program takes three years to complete and features interdisciplinary courses, seminars, gallery visits and group projects.
Runner-Up #1: Miami Dade College
- School of Entertainment and Design Technology programs are offered on five campuses
- The college offers a state-of-the-art graphic design lab
- Hands-on training available through studio projects and work experiences
Miami Dade College is the largest postsecondary institution in the nation with an enrollment of around 165,000 students. A 4-year school, Miami Dade offers both bachelor's and associate's degrees as well as certificate programs.
The college offers an Associate in Science in Graphic Design Technology that features training in illustration software, photo editing, graphic design theory and digital imaging. Courses in business practices for graphic design careers are available and studio projects are offered throughout the program. Students can build a comprehensive portfolio while completing this 4-semester program and are also able to participate in cooperative work experiences in the field of graphic design.
Runner-Up #2: Broward College
- Program is associated with the American Institute of Graphic Arts
- Graphic design program emphasizes training in emerging technologies
- Students can participate in field trips
Broward College enrolls about 44,000 students at its three campuses and six centers. Students can choose from more than 100 degree and certificate programs, including several online options. Broward has a 24:1 student-faculty ratio and offers several services to students, including a career center and academic success center.
Broward's Associate of Science in Graphic Design is a 64-credit program that can be completed in about two years. Students can earn a Graphic Design Support certificate after completing 15 credits and a Graphic Design Production certificate after completing 24 credit hours. Courses cover topics in web publishing, design production and illustration design. Students can also study iPad interactive design and have the option to complete an internship.
Related to Top Ranked University with Graphic Design Degree Programs - Miami, FL
- Recently Updated
Learn how to become a graphic design specialist. Research the education requirements, training information, and experience...
The technology for graphic design has evolved rapidly, but powerful visual communications are still based on aesthetic...
For individuals who find that they study the advertisements and graphic elements of magazines and newspapers, a career in...
The Design Media Arts Department at UCLA features innovative interdisciplinary classes that cover much more than the basics....
- Become a Graphic Design Instructor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- 3D Graphic Design: Training Requirements and Career Information
- Associate in Graphic Design and Multimedia: Degree Overview
- Culinary School: Top Rated Culinary Arts Programs - Atlanta, GA
- Top School in Tampa for a Diagnostic Radiology Degree
- Top Austin School Offering Psychology Degrees
- Top Ranked MBA Program in Human Resource Management - Oklahoma City, OK
Perfect School Search
- B - L
- L - O
- P - W
- Nearby States