Top University in Pittsburgh for a Computer Science Major
Located in Pittsburgh, PA, Carnegie Mellon University was founded as Carnegie Technical Schools in 1900 by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Through the Computer Science Department, students can complete a Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Master of Science (M.S.) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Computer Science.
Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University is a private, research-oriented university that serves more than 11,000 students each year. The school has more than 1,000 faculty members and nearly all of them hold the highest available degree in their fields. Undergraduate students enjoy a student-teacher ratio of about 10:1. In 2011, U.S. News and World Report ranked the school as one of the top 25 national universities.
The School of Computer Science consists of departments and areas of study such as the Computer Science Department, the Human-Computer Interaction Institute and the Machine Learning Department. The school offers a wide variety of programs in subjects related to computer science, including undergraduate programs in computational biology and human-computer interaction and graduate programs in robotics, software engineering, entertainment technology and biotechnology. Founded in 1965, the Department of Computer Science was one of the first of its kind in the country. In 2010, U.S. News and World Report ranked the university's computer science graduate programs as number one in the country among school's offering graduate programs in computer science.
Computer Science Programs
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Computer science majors are required to take coursework in subjects such as programming, data structures, algorithm design, computer systems and imperative computation. Coursework is also required in mathematics, probability and engineering, including the study of subjects like matrix algebra, statistics and physics. Bachelor's degree students may participate in original research activities.
Master of Science in Computer Science
This M.S. program is only available as a fifth-year option for students who have completed the B.S. in Computer Science program at Carnegie Mellon University. Students interested in a traditional 2-year master's degree program in a related field such as software engineering, information technology or robotics may choose from one of the school's many other computer-oriented graduate programs. In addition to a series of required classes that span the computer science field, students may choose their own coursework from graduate level electives in various areas of computer science, with the approval of an advisor. Students are also required to complete a research-based master's thesis.
Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
This Ph.D. program takes approximately six years to complete. The minimum educational requirement is a bachelor's degree in computer science or a relevant field. Students may complete courses in subjects such as computer graphics, performance modeling and software systems. Degree requirements also include completion of teaching assistant duties and a research-based doctoral dissertation.
Related to Top University in Pittsburgh for a Computer Science Major
- Recently Updated
Master's degree programs in computer science typically cover algorithms, numerical analysis and database systems. Find out...
Learn about associate's degree programs in computer graphics. Read about sample courses, popular careers and continuing...
Find out about the requirements and curriculum of an associate's degree program in computer science. See statistics on...
Want to learn computer programming code without having to sit through classes? Codecademy offers several programming courses...
- Computer Science Associate Vs. Bachelors Degree: What's the Difference
- List of Free Online Computer Science Courses and Classes
- Computer Science Degree Program Overviews by Level
- Policeman: Career Profile
- Forensic Science Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Banking Professions: Bank Teller Educational Requirements
- Wholesale Buyer: Educational Requirements for a Career in Buying
- Salary and Career Info for a Computer Science Doctoral Degree
- Be a Computer Science Engineer: Career Information and Requirements
- Music Promoter: Job Description, Duties and Salary Info
- Welfare Case Worker Job Duties, Requirements and Outlook
- How to Become a Reading Instructor: Step-By-Step Career Guide
- Cruise Ship Mechanic Information About a Career in Cruise Ship Maintenance and Ship Repair
- Financial Counselor Job Description and Info About a Career in Financial Counseling
- Municipal Clerk Employment Information for Students Considering a Career As a Municipal Clerk
- Glendale, California (CA) Colleges
Perfect School Search
- A - I
- K - R
- S - Y
- Nearby States