Top School for an MBA in Health Care Management - San Antonio, TX
San Antonio has few schools with MBA programs in health care management. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
Best Schools in San Antonio for Health Care Management
Colleges in the San Antonio area offering Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs with a health care management or administration concentration include Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio, the University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas State University - San Marcos.
Texas State University - San Marcos was ranked the 46th best regional university in the West by U.S. News & World Report in 2013. It also received a national ranking for its part-time MBA program, making it the top school in the area. The University of Texas at San Antonio is home to a nationally ranked part-time MBA program as well, while Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio features a health care management MBA that's available on campus and online.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Texas State University - San Marcos||The University of Texas at San Antonio||Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio|
|Rankings (2013)|| 46th best regional university in the West*|
12th best public regional university in the West*
Part-time MBA program ranked 141st in the nation*
|Part-time MBA program ranked 112th in the nation*||N/A|
|Location||San Marcos, TX (46 miles from San Antonio)||San Antonio, TX||San Antonio, TX|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition (2012-2013)|| $4,806 (in-state, graduate)|
$11,124 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $4,670 (in-state, graduate)|
$17,306 (out-of-state, graduate)**
|Health Care Management MBAs Awarded (2011-2012)||N/A||N/A||10**|
|Noteworthy||Program is offered jointly through the McCoy College of Business Administration and the College of Health Professions||Among the country's 40 biggest business schools***||MBA program offered in a weekend format and online|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***University of Texas at San Antonio.
Winner: Texas State University - San Marcos
- Classes are offered during the evening to accommodate working professionals
- The McCoy MBA program offers a 3-credit internship
- The business college offers fellowships that range from $1,500-$2,500 per semester
The MBA in Health Administration program at Texas State University - San Marcos is 45 credits and includes two tiers of core classes as well as electives. The first tier consists of nine credits of coursework in topics like organizational performance, finance, economic theory and data analysis. The second tier is 27 credits, and classes cover managerial accounting, managerial economics and finance, marketing, statistical methods and health care organization. Students also complete nine credits of electives through the School of Health Administration, which is part of the College of Health Professions. Topics of study can include public health, the management of patient care and health care policy development. TSU - San Marcos admits students to this program regardless of their undergraduate major. It also offers a related Master of Health Administration degree.
Runner-Up #1: The University of Texas at San Antonio
- An internship is an option for students
- The College of Business awards more than 80 scholarships to its bachelor's and master's degree candidates
- The College of Business is home to a career services office as well as a Graduate Business Association
Students who enroll in the MBA program with a concentration in the business of health are required to complete 36 credits. Twenty-four of these credits are MBA core courses covering such areas as marketing, managerial economics and production management, while 12 credits are business health courses. These include required courses in health care law and tax strategies, Medicare regulation and strategic management, as well as electives that offer students an opportunity to participate in an internship. Students can also learn about health care accounting, legal and ethical health care management issues, health care economics and the organization of health care delivery systems. Applicants without an undergraduate background in business must complete up to five prerequisite courses before beginning program coursework.
Runner-Up #2: Our Lady of the Lake University - San Antonio
- University is a private Catholic school
- One of the top 25 producers of MBAs among Hispanics, according to The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education in 2012
- Business programs are approved by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
Our Lady of the Lake University's MBA in Health Care Management program features core coursework in health care finance, law and ethics, as well as management theory, information systems, marketing, supply chain management and strategic management. Additional courses required for the concentration include managed care and health care policy. The program's weekend format is designed for working professionals, and students without an undergraduate degree in business can take one accelerated leveling course to meet prerequisite requirements.
Related to Top School for an MBA in Health Care Management - San Antonio, TX
- Recently Updated
Read about online Master of Science in Nursing programs for health care management. Get information on licensing,...
A health care management bachelor's program prepares students to work with medical professionals and medical documents. Though...
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Health Care Management degree program is designed to help students prepare to work in...
Online health care quality management certificate programs are available for post-baccalaureate or master's degree students....
- Overview of Health Care Management Classes and Training Programs
- Health Care Management Degree Program Options by Level
- Health Information Technician Career Requirements
- How to Choose a College for an Aspiring Perfusionist
- Telecommunications Technology Degree and Training Program Info
- How Does Someone Apply For Financial Aid?
- Become a Music Librarian: Education and Career Roadmap
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Health Care Management Degree Overview
- Bachelor of Arts (BA): Health Care Management Degree Overview
- Neurobiologist: Salary, Job Description and Career Outlook
- Salary and Career Info for Certified First Assistants
- Schools for Aspiring Public Health Professionals: How to Choose
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States