Top Albuquerque School for Medical Laboratory Technology Degrees
Albuquerque, NM, has few schools with programs in medical laboratory technology. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' rankings, program offerings and tuition info.
School and Ranking Information
Only two schools in Albuquerque offer programs in medical laboratory technology: one community college and one university. Based on school rankings, number of degrees awarded and student-to-faculty ratio, the following school is considered a top school in Albuquerque for medical laboratory technology programs:
- Winner: The University of New Mexico is the largest school in Albuquerque offering medical laboratory technology studies. It is also the only school granting bachelor's degrees in this field of study as well as a master's degree in the closely related area of clinical laboratory science. The university's medical laboratory technology degree programs are found in its Department of Pathology.
School Info Chart
|Category||University of New Mexico|
|Rankings||#189 among Best National Universities (2014)*|
|Location||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $6,846 (in-state); $20,688 (out-of-state)**|
|Medical Laboratory Technology Degrees Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|Medical Laboratory Technology Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||26**|
|Most Popular Medical Laboratory Technology Degree Level in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (25 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||48%**|
|Noteworthy||Bachelor's degree program in medical laboratory sciences accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
University of New Mexico
- 20:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Bachelor's degree program in medical laboratory sciences is offered online
- Classroom instruction accompanied by labs, mentorships and student research projects
- Students in the School of Medicine have access to labs and simulation equipment
With a student population of more than 28,000 individuals, the University of New Mexico is the flagship institution of higher learning in the state. The 4-year, public research school is located right in Albuquerque. It offers approximately 215 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs through 12 schools and colleges. The Department of Pathology, which is part of the School of Medicine, provides students with access to nationally recognized researchers in the field of health sciences.
The 4-year Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences program provides students with the educational background and laboratory skills necessary to earn a position as a medical laboratory technologist or clinical laboratory scientist. Core courses include clinical hematology, lab management, clinical chemistry, urinalysis, serology and clinical immunology. The Master of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences program provides students with the opportunity to pursue research in one particular specialization of the field. Students spend three semesters enrolled in core courses and one semester taking specialized courses in areas such as cancer biology, toxicology, molecular genetics or stem cell biology. Students are required to complete an apprenticeship project in addition to conducting research in clinical laboratories and faculty research laboratories. Coursework may include bioethics, molecular biology or public medicine.
Related to Top Albuquerque School for Medical Laboratory Technology Degrees
- Recently Updated
Learn about programs in medical laboratory technology, through which students learn how to perform tests and exam specimens to...
Get an overview of the Associate of Science (AS) in Medical Laboratory Technology degree program. Read on to learn about...
Learn about the curriculum and requirements of a medical laboratory technician certificate program. Find out about employment...
Learn about a bio medical, or biomedical, technology bachelor's degree program. Find out about possible prerequisites, sample...
- Schools and Colleges with Medical Office Technology Programs
- Medical Office Technology Careers: Job Descriptions, Duties & Requirements
- Associate's in Medical Assistant: Degree Overview
- 911 Emergency Dispatcher: Required Skills, Duties and Responsibilities
- Global Economics Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Career Info for a Certification in Cosmetology or Related Services
- Crisis Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Associate of Medical Office Technology: Degree Overview
- Associate of Medical Records Technology: Degree Overview
- How Do Education Portal Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- Salary and Career Info for Electrical Technologists
- Operations Planning Consultant: Education Requirements and Career Info