Top Schools for Cinematography and Film Production
Bachelor's and master's degrees in cinematography and film production can be found in a college's communications or fine arts department. These subjects are often part of a television and film degree program. Read on for more information on the top schools in the U.S. that offer cinematography and film production programs.
Top Cinematography and Film Production Schools
1. New York University (NYU) in New York, NY
New York University is situated in the heart of New York City, a city with a thriving entertainment industry. U.S. News and World Report ranked NYU's graduate fine arts programs in multimedia and visual communications tenth in the nation in 2008.
NYU's Tisch School of the Arts has one of the largest film and video production facilities for student use in the East. Students in the Tisch School can earn an undergraduate or graduate degree in film and television production. Film and TV degree programs include courses in every step of film and video production, including using the camera (cinematography), editing and sound production. Student film festivals are held annually, such as the First Run Film Festival, which allow students to showcase their work.
2. University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles
USC is a private school located in the middle of Los Angeles, California, where much of the U.S. film industry is centered. USC was ranked 23rd among national universities in U.S. News and World Report's 2012 rankings.
Programs offered by USC's School of Cinematic Arts prepare students for careers in cinematography and film production. A Bachelor of Arts or a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Film and Television Production can be earned through this school. The MFA takes about three years to complete. In the second year of study, MFA students specialize in one area of film production, such as writing, editing, directing and cinematography.
3. University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA)
The Los Angeles campus of the University of California was ranked the 25th best national university in the 2012 edition of U.S. News and World Report's college rankings. This large school, both in acreage and student population, hosts a School of Theater, Film and Television.
UCLA's School of Theater Film and Television offers a 4-year MFA in Cinematography that includes courses in lighting, directing, digital cinematography and production. Cinematography students collaborate with directing students to complete productions for their thesis.
List of Ten Well-Regarded Film Schools in the U.S.
|American Film Institute Conservatory||Cinematography and production taught in hands-on conservatory method||Los Angeles, CA|
|California Institute of the Arts||Students present their films at the school's Bijou Theater||Valencia, CA|
|Columbia University||Faculty active in producing major motion pictures||New York, NY|
|Florida State University||Honored by the Director's Guild of America||Tallahassee, FL|
|New York University||Dual Master of Business Administration and Master of Fine Arts degree program for TV and film production students||New York, NY|
|School of the Art Institute of Chicago||Home to the Gene Siskel Film Center||Chicago, IL|
|Temple University||Hosts the Diamond Screen Film Festival for students||Philadelphia, PA|
|University of California - Los Angeles||Only 2-3 MFA in Cinematography students accepted annually||Los Angeles, CA|
|University of Southern California||The Peter Stark Producing Program||Los Angeles, CA|
|University of Texas - Austin||Master Class guest lecture program||Austin, TX|
Related to Top Schools for Cinematography and Film Production
- Recently Updated
Research the requirements to become a film production assistant. Learn about the job description and duties, and read...
Film production coordinators are the administrative professionals behind the scenes of motion picture productions....
A film's production assistant (PA) provides support to crews while a movie is being made. Some film PAs specialize in...
Certificate programs in video and film production offer a solid foundation of the skills needed to pursue career...
- JISC's Film & Sound Think Tank: The 21st Century AV Club
- Cinematography Degrees: Top Rated Film School - San Francisco, CA
- Film Editor: Career Profile for the Film Editing Professions
- Top School for Human Resources - Charlotte, NC
- Top Public Administration Degree Program - Charlotte, NC
- Top University with a Marketing Degree Concentration - Jacksonville, FL
- Top Public Administration Degree Program - Irvine, CA
- Film Developer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Job Description of a Movie or Film Cameraman
- Top Network Systems Administration Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- Top Ranked Paralegal Studies Degree Program - Kansas City, MO
- Top School for an Electronics and Computer Technology Degree - New York, NY
- Computer Science Education Top University Offering a Computer Science Major - Charleston SC
- Computer Security Top Rated School with Degrees in Computer and IT Security - Arlington VA
- Iowa EMT Training
- Teacher Education Top School with Teacher Education and School Administration Degree Programs - San Bernardino CA