Top Schools for Fashion Merchandising
Read about specialized fashion programs that can help students acquire the business skills they need to pursue a merchandising career is this cutting-edge industry. Read an overview of what's available at three top-notch schools, and find a list of other universities in the country that offer programs in fashion merchandising.
The three schools profiled below include a state university located in the heart of New York City's garment district, a high-ranking, historically black college and a postsecondary institution specializing in public research. All three schools offer bachelor's degree programs in fashion merchandising; study abroad opportunities can be found at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
Top U.S. Schools with Fashion Merchandising Programs
1. Howard University in Washington, D.C.
Founded in 1867, Howard University was ranked the 115th best national university and second-top historically black college and university in the country by U.S. News & World Report for 2012. In 2011, the Princeton Review also identified this private university as a 'Best Northeastern College.' Howard University offers a Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Merchandising program, which focuses on buying, selling, visual merchandising and retail management. In addition to internship opportunities with major fashion marketing firms, the program offers related minors in communication, business and foreign languages, among other areas.
2. University of North Texas in Denton
The University of North Texas (UNT), one of the largest public research universities in Texas, was classified as a 'Best Western College' by the Princeton Review in 2011. UNT's School of Merchandising and Hospitality Management offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) with specializations in apparel textiles, fashion theory and apparel merchandising. The program also allows for internships with UNT industry partners, including fashion events and public relations organizations, clothing stores and fashion magazines. According to the university website, the school was the first in the country to offer a bachelor's degree program in e-merchandising.
3. Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, NY
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), a part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system, is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. FIT's fashion merchandising management programs can lead to an Associate of Applied Science and a Bachelor of Science, with the latter program offering international study and internship opportunities in London, Paris and Florence, among other locations. FIT's Merchandising Society operates a boutique, where students can gain hands-on merchandising experience and visit businesses in the retail industry. In 2011, FIT received awards for faculty and staff excellence, distinguished faculty ranks and student excellence from the SUNY system (www.suny.edu).
Six Good Schools with Fashion Merchandising Degree Programs
|CUNY New York City College of Technology||Offers transfer and job placement opportunities for fashion marketing alumni||Brooklyn, NY|
|Fashion Institute of Technology||Home to the Style Shop boutique||New York, NY|
|Harding University||Houses a textile, clothing and fashion laboratory||Searcy, AR|
|Howard University||Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)||Washington, DC|
|University of Arizona||Offers a fashion merchandising scholarship||Tucson, AZ|
|University of North Texas||Offered the first entirely online master's degree program in merchandising||Denton, TX|
Related to Top Schools for Fashion Merchandising
- Recently Updated
Research bachelor's degrees in fashion merchandising. Get information on requirements, courses and possible job options to make...
A master's degree in fashion merchandising is ideal for individuals who are interested in buying, selling and marketing...
Explore associate's degree programs in fashion merchandising. Read about admissions requirements, required courses and possible...
Research fashion merchandising college diploma programs. Learn about typical courses, employment outlook, salary trends and...
- Online Fashion Merchandising Degree Program Information by Level
- Top School in Chicago for a Fashion Merchandising Degree
- Top School in Phoenix for Fashion Merchandising Training
- Top School in Fort Worth for Computer Networking
- Marine Scientist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top School in Tampa for a Marketing Degree Program
- Top Rated Law School - Arlington, VA
- Associate of Arts (AA): Fashion Merchandising Degree Overview
- Fashion Merchandising Major: Information and Requirements
- Assistant Film Editor: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top School with Web Design Degree Programs - Portland, OR
- Network Support Engineer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Hospital Information Technician Job Outlook and Info About Starting a Career in Hospital Info Technology
- Home Health Aide Training NYC Bronx
- Wedding Dress Designer Employment Information for Students Considering a Career in Wedding Dress Design
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Animal Training.