Top Schools for Licensed Vocational Nurse Training
Read about programs for licensed vocational nurses (LVNs), or practical nurses, who provide care to patients under the supervision of registered nurses (RNs) or physicians. Find information about the program options at three colleges and universities, as well as an overview of other top schools that offer programs for LVNs.
To become an LVN, students can complete certificate and associate's degree programs offered by community colleges and 4-year university nursing departments. Top programs can be found at Lewis-Clark State College, Lake Superior State University and Indian River State College.
Top U.S. Schools wit Licensed Vocational Nursing Programs
1. Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, ID
In 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked Lewis-Clark State College 5th among public schools and 28th among regional colleges in the West. Lewis-Clark State College offers an Associate of Applied Science in Practical Nursing program. Students take courses in practical nursing theory, maternal and child health, anatomy and physiology. Laboratory sessions and clinical practicums are required as well. The college also offers an LPN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program for licensed practical nurses who would like to become RNs.
2. Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie, MI
This school ranked 7th among public schools in the Midwest regional colleges category by U.S. News & World Report in 2012. Students in its practical nursing certificate program can prepare for licensure by completing coursework and clinical requirements in pediatric and surgical nursing, pharmacology and nutrition, among other areas. The school also offers an Associate of Applied Science - Health Care Provider for practical nursing students who would like to prepare for BSN programs by enrolling in an additional year of coursework.
3. Indian River State College in Fort Pierce, FL
In 2012, U.S. News & World Report named Indian River State College the 12th-best public school among regional colleges in the South. In the school's practical nursing certificate program, students learn about the fundamentals of practical nursing, the structure and function of the body and medical/surgical practical nursing. Program graduates can acquire advanced placement if they wish to enroll in the associate's degree program in registered nursing.
Ten Good Schools with Licensed Vocational Nurse Training Programs
|Bronx Community College - CUNY||LPN certificate program can be completed on evenings and weekends||Bronx, NY|
|Clarkson College||First school in the state to focus solely on heath sciences education||Omaha, NE|
|Cuyahoga Community College||Offers online tutoring services to students enrolled in its practical nursing certificate program||Cleveland, OH|
|Davenport University||Nursing Association is one of many academic clubs available to students||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Dickinson State University||Students can receive course credit for participating in activities sponsored by the Nursing Students' Association||Dickinson, ND|
|Farmingdale State College - SUNY||Ranked 29th on U.S. News & World Report's list of regional colleges in the North for 2012||Farmingdale, NY|
|Indian River State College||One of Community College Week's top 50 associate degree producers in all disciplines among 4-year schools for 2011||Fort Pierce, FL|
|Lake Superior State College||Students can join the Lake State Student Nurses Association||Sault Ste Marie, MI|
|Lewis-Clark State College||Practical nursing program is the first in Idaho to award an Associate of Applied Science||Lewiston, ID|
|Weber University||Offers the practical and registered nurse re-entry program to nurses who wish to reactivate their licenses||Ogden, UT|
Related to Top Schools for Licensed Vocational Nurse Training
- Recently Updated
Licensed vocational nursing requires some formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and licensure requirements to...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a licensed vocational nurse (LVN). Get a quick view of the...
Learn how to become a chief nurse. Research the job description and the education and licensing requirements, and find out how...
A forensic nurse requires specialized, graduate-level formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and requirements...
- Dialysis Nurse: Job Responsibilities, Requirements and Career Outlook
- Research Nurse: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Nurse Administrator: Job Description, Requirements and Career Info
- Top School in Raleigh for Becoming a Computer Security Professional
- Forensic Autopsy Technician: Salary and Career Information
- Dental Practice Administrator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Logistics Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Certified Nurse Midwife: Salary, Duties and Requirements
- LPN Charge Nurse: Responsibilities, Requirements and Career Outlook
- Top Ranked School for Health Care Management - Seattle, WA
- Career Information for a Degree in Retail Management and Merchandising
- Diabetes Care Specialist Education Requirements and Job Description
- Musical Arts Merchandise Management Professions Info for Students Considering a Career in Musical Arts Merchandising
- Physical Education Colleges
- Associate in Applied Science AAS Computer Wireless Networking Degree Overview
- Associate of Arts in Business Administration AABA Online Criminal Justice Administration Degree