What Should I Major in to Become a Guidance Counselor?
Guidance counselors can major in fields of study like psychology, counseling, education and human services. Depending upon where a counselor works, guidance counselors may also be required to enroll in a teacher education program in addition to taking courses related to counseling.
Degree Programs for Guidance Counselors
Education Options and Requirements
Degree programs for guidance counselors are typically found in psychology, education and human services departments at colleges and universities. Important coursework includes psychology, public speaking, education, mathematics and statistics.
The type of training guidance counselors need can vary by state as well as by work setting. Counselors working in public schools need a master's degree. Public school counselors must be licensed as well. Guidance counselors at private schools, however, generally do not need a license. Enrolling in a teacher education program may be beneficial or even necessary for students interested in counseling careers at private schools.
All public school guidance counselors must be licensed. Some guidance counselors may be required to hold a state school counseling certification and complete at least some coursework at the graduate level prior to becoming licensed. Others are required to have a certificate in counseling and teaching and have some teaching experience prior to becoming licensed. Students generally must complete continuing education credits in order to maintain licensure.
Job Outlook and Salary Information
Employment opportunities were predicted to grow by 14% from 2008 to 2018, according to the the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). Job increases will be due to the fact that increasing numbers of elementary schools are now required to hire counselors. Expanding roles of counselors may also add to the growth. These roles may include drug and alcohol abuse counseling, suicide counseling and crisis intervention. According to PayScale.com, salaries for guidance counselors in 2010 were between $35,793 and $55,131.
Related to What Should I Major in to Become a Guidance Counselor?
- Recently Updated
Research the requirements to become a grief counselor. Learn about the job description and duties and read the...
A substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselor works with people who have trouble controlling relationships with...
Bruce Vinik is a private college admissions counselor and founder of Vinik Educational Placement Services (EPS)....
A holistic health counselor encourages patients to actively participate in their healthcare and wellness. The...
- Family Violence Prevention Counselor: Job Description and Information for a Career in Family Prevention of Violence
- How to Become a Certified Guidance Counselor
- AA Counselor: Job Outlook and Information About Starting a Career As in AA Counseling and AA Therapy
- Top Electronics and Electrical Engineering Technologies Degree - Atlanta, GA
- Top Accounting and Finance Degrees - Irvine, CA
- Best Degree Programs in Business Marketing - Jersey City, NJ
- Top Master's in Public Administration Degree Program - Long Beach, CA
- School Guidance Counselor: How to Become a School Guidance Counselor
- College Counselor: Job Info and Requirements for a College Counseling Career
- Top Master's Programs for Human Resource Management - Jacksonville, FL
- Top School with Degrees in Medical Laboratory Technology - Albuquerque, NM
- Top Ranked Paralegal Studies Degree Program - Kansas City, MO