What Is Accounting Technology?
Accounting technology programs typically lead to an associate's degree or certificate. Read about classes, explore career paths, and find out where these programs are usually available.
Accounting Technology: An Overview
Accounting technology is affiliated with both business and financial accounting, but it studies these topics at a less advanced level than a full business or accounting program would. Students learn the basic accounting and finance skills necessary to pursue careers in bookkeeping, payroll, auditing, tax preparation, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Potential places of employment for graduates include accounting firms, retail stores, hospitals, commercial industries and other entities that need employees with basic finance and accounting skills. Professionals with accounting technology degrees may also be expected to analyze business situations and work with state-of-the-art business software and other technology.
Since this program of study most often leads to an associate's degree, students should expect to complete some general education courses, such as math, history, English and humanities. Courses that relate directly to accounting technology include law, society, financial accounting, economics, communication, business management, marketing, managing finance, statistics and auditing procedures. Courses in an accounting technology associate's degree program may translate to a bachelor's degree program in accounting or general business.
Accounting technology certificate and degree programs are readily available at community colleges and technical schools; some large public universities may offer accounting technology associate's degree programs as well. Students on the fence about someday pursuing a bachelor's degree may want to look for an accounting technology program at a 4-year school; this way, credits are more likely to transfer to a baccalaureate program.
Related to What Is Accounting Technology?
- Recently Updated
Accounting technology is generally offered through the business departments of junior and community colleges. Continue reading...
Explore the details of an associate's degree program in accounting technology. See course examples, and browse the employment...
Read about the coursework and requirements of a degree in accounting technology. Learn about career and continuing education...
Learn about the business accounting technology associate's degree program. Read on for educational prerequisites, program...
- Top University in Cleveland with a Master's in Accounting
- MIT Department Helps Faculty Connect Innovation and Technology
- Maybe Technology in Schools Isn't the Answer
- Litigation Analyst: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Building Engineer License, Certification and Credential Information
- Salary and Career Info for a Midwife Nurse with a Masters Degree
- Top College in Washington, DC, for Marketing Courses
- Certified Athletic Trainer Job Outlook and Information About Starting a Career As a Certified Athletic Trainer
- Explosives Technician Job Description and Requirements for Becoming an Explosives Technician
- County Probations Officer Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career As a County Probational Officer
- Music Study