Why Get a Masters in Computer Science?
Computer science is the study of computer programming and other specializations as they pertain to technology. Master's degree programs in computer science offer specialized training in one or more areas, offering students the opportunity for advanced positions and higher salaries.
Master's Degree in Computer Science: Overview
Earning a master's degree in computer science often prepares students to advance a career in technology research or development. Jobs in the computer science field can typically be found in a company's information technology department, a government agency or non-profit entity. A master's degree program gives students specialized skills in one or more areas of technology, including network security, software development or artificial intelligence.
Prerequisites for a Computer Science Master's Degree Program
Those earning their master's degree in computer science often already work in high-tech positions. Many schools do not require a specific undergraduate major to enter the computer science master's program, though a bachelor's degree is usually part of the criteria for admissions eligibility. Some programs allow new students with little or no experience in computers or technology, while others prefer some proficiency in math, operating systems and programming. Prerequisite requirements vary for a master's program, and students are encouraged to contact the graduate school to verify all undergraduate coursework has been completed prior to enrolling.
Graduate Courses in Computer Science
Master's degree programs typically offer courses that follow a specialized training regimen. Graduate studies focus and enhance subjects learned in an undergraduate program, often leading to the development of skills in a concentrated discipline, such as network security or software engineering. Courses often include:
- Computational theory and practice
- Operating system analysis
- Network architecture, language and security
- Database design, data warehousing and storage
- Data compiling and network/Internet protocols
- Software theory and algorithms
Careers with a Master's Degree in Computer Science
Those with a master's degree in computer science may choose to perform technical research or advance an existing career. Technicians in the information technology field may use a master's degree to seek management positions. Historically, the computer science field has grown steadily with the advent of new technologies for business and personal use. In 2008, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipated 30% growth in the profession between 2008-2018, with the highest concentration of new workers employed in networking and communications (www.bls.gov).
Related to Why Get a Masters in Computer Science?
- Recently Updated
Founded in 1794, the University of Tennessee in Knoxville is the flagship campus of the University of Tennessee...
When choosing what degree to earn in computer science, it is important to know the difference between an...
Computer Science Education: Top Rated University that Offers a Computer Science Major - Alexandria, VA
Located in Washington, D.C., less than 10 miles away from Alexandria, Virginia, George Washington University is a...
Located in Pittsburgh, PA, Carnegie Mellon University was founded as Carnegie Technical Schools in 1900 by...
- Education-Portal.com 2010 Scholarship Winners: Computer Science
- Computer Science: Top Rated University Offering a Computer Science Degree Program - Colorado Springs, CO
- Computer Science Degrees: Top Rated School for Earning a Degree in Computer Science - Morrisville, NC
- Top Ranked University with an International Business Program - San Francisco, CA
- Top Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Fremont, CA
- Top Degree Programs for Administrative Assisting - Chicago, IL
- Top Networking Management University Programs - Houston, TX
- Top Rated Computer Science Degree Program - Lexington, KY
- Master of Science in Computer Science: Online Degree
- Top Computer Information Systems Management Degree - Irvine, CA
- Top Psychology Master's Degree Programs - San Francisco, CA
- Best School for Learning Professional Massage Therapy - Phoenix, AZ