Wildlife Biology Major: Information and Requirements
Learn about earning an undergraduate degree with a major in wildlife biology. Find out about courses, some popular career choices and continuing education at the graduate level.
Wildlife biologists study the behavior, diseases and life processes of animals. Wildlife biology bachelor's program are generally science- and math-intensive, and most programs require students to maintain a grade of C or better in all biology coursework. Wildlife biology majors can expect experiential learning in the lab, as well as hands-on training in the field. Additionally, they may have the opportunity to assist in research and summer fieldwork through their school; this type of experience may help with scholarship funding and employment after graduation.
Wildlife biology majors typically have the option of focusing their studies in either land or aquatic animals. Students take classes in physics, chemistry, calculus and statistics, as well as a variety of biology subjects. Major courses include:
- Population biology
- Cell biology
- Fisheries management
- Wildlife management
- Animal behavior
- Wildlife conservation
Popular Career Options
Graduates with a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology may begin a career with state and federal fish and wildlife agencies, environmental consulting agencies and conservation organizations in entry-level positions such as:
- Game warden
- Conservation educator
- Field biologist
- Wildlife manager
Continuing Education Information
Although not required for entry-level positions, graduate degrees are very common for wildlife biologists. Individuals interested in specializing in certain species, including endangered ones, or areas such as aquaculture and conservation biology may want to consider a graduate program. Both master's and doctoral programs in wildlife biology are available, and completing the latter is essential for independent research and teaching positions at colleges and universities.
Related to Wildlife Biology Major: Information and Requirements
- Recently Updated
Fully online programs in wildlife biology are not common due to the necessity of fieldwork in the education process; however,...
Online degree programs in wildlife biology are rare, although online bachelor's and master's degree programs in general biology...
Learn about the curriculum and program prerequisites for earning a master's degree in wildlife biology. Find out about...
Read about the country's best wildlife biology schools and programs, through which students can learn about wildlife...
- Wildlife Biology Graduate Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Careers with a Biology Degree and MBA: Combining Biology and Business
- Wildlife Biologist: Job Description & Career Info
- How to Become a Customer Service Engineer: Career Roadmap
- Salary and Career Info for an E-Business Manager
- Salary and Career Info for a Doctor of Natural Medicine
- Small Animal Veterinarian: Salary, Duties and Requirements
- Residential Interior Design Degree Program in Brookline, MA
- Baking and Pastry Top Rated Culinary School for Becoming a Pastry Chef - Pittsburgh PA
- Thermodynamics Engineer Employment Information for Students Considering a Career in Thermodynamics Engineering
- Aircraft Repair Technician Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career As an Aircraft Service and Repair Technician