Associate Degree Programs in Healthcare Administration
Students learn the business side of medicine in healthcare administration degree programs. Students train to support physicians and doctors and are taught to manage a medical office.
Associate's Degrees in Healthcare Administration
The different associate's degree programs related to healthcare administration are Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Science in Healthcare Administration. They all teach administrative and clinical aspects of the medical industry and prepare students to provide organizational support and management to upper-level administrators. Specialties within the programs are available, including billing and coding, medical records and pharmacy practice. Applicants must be high school graduates for program entry.
Students learn the strengths and weaknesses of the healthcare system, the roles of its workers and public policy.
- Billing procedures
- Claims preparation
- Diseases and health
- Health communication skills
- Health language
- Information technology
- Management principles
- Medical ethics
- Medical law
- Medical terminology
- Patient records
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Graduates of healthcare administration degree programs are prepared for entry-level positions, such as medical records technicians, medical administrative assistants, medical transcriptionists and medical secretaries. They find work in nursing homes, doctor's offices, hospitals and clinics. The job outlook is promising for healthcare administrators, and the U.S. Department of Labor predicted in 2008 that employment would increase through 2016 by 22%. The median weekly earnings of healthcare workers were $568 in 2006 (www.bls.gov).
Continuing Education Information
Graduates of associate's degree programs can often transfer many of their credits to 4-year institutions and apply them toward advanced degrees. Bachelor's and master's degree programs in healthcare administration increase student knowledge of the medical industry and put them at an advantage for employment opportunities.
Related to Associate Degree Program in Healthcare Administration
- Recently Updated
Students interested in law enforcement may consider undergraduate study in justice administration. An associate degree...
Earning a degree in public administration can prepare graduates for entry-level careers in local, state or government...
A degree program in healthcare administration prepares students for management and administrative positions in...
Business administration programs typically offer a number of specializations, including healthcare. Aspiring...
- Online Hospital Administration Degree Program Summaries
- Healthcare Administration Degree: Top Ranked School for Health Administration Degrees - Tampa, FL
- Top Ranked Healthcare Administration Degree - Boise, ID
- Top University with a Medical Office Management Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA
- Top International Business Degree Program - Atlanta, GA
- Top Ranked University with a Master's in Accounting Degree - Milwaukee, WI
- Top Ranked University Degree Program in Public Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top School for a Degree in Healthcare Administration - Cincinnati, OH
- Associate of Medical Administration: Medical Coding Degree Overview
- Top Degree Programs for Business Administration - Indianapolis, IN
- Top School for a Business Degree - Philadelphia, PA
- Top Degrees for Dental Assisting - Phoenix, AZ