Bachelor Degree in Online Speech Pathology: Program Overviews
Most online undergraduate degree programs in speech pathology lead to a Bachelor of Science in Speech Language Pathology. Read on for overviews of online degree programs and courses in this field of study. Get career info for speech-language pathologists.
Degree Program Overview
The main goal of a speech language pathology major program is to prepare graduates to work with both children and adults with speech and hearing disorders. They must be able to diagnose disorders, understand how they work, identify how they may affect individuals and devise treatment plans.
The curricula for online bachelor's degrees in speech pathology typically comprise both core courses and general education units, much like their brick-and-mortar counterparts. These programs usually take four years to complete, although distance learning options may offer pacing flexibility.
Speech pathology deals with disorders relative to hearing and speaking language, including articulation and pronunciation issues that are a result of poor hearing, physical defects, disease or regional dialect. Students take online courses that include the following:
- Language, hearing and speech development
- Basic audiology
- Articulation and phonetics
- Speech and language science
- Speech and language disorders
- Communication disorders in literature
- Treating children with communication disorders
- Language disorders in children
- Hearing loss prevention
- Professional issues in speech and language pathology
Students usually need to complete an internship in addition to regular courses. This internship can be completed at a school or hospital local to the student, although it must first be approved through the college hosting the online program. Under the supervision of a speech language pathologist, students are expected to apply classroom theories and speech pathology techniques to help patients manage or overcome language or speech disorders.
Online Learning Details
Online bachelor's degree programs in speech pathology allow students to complete programs at the time that's best for them, without worrying about attendance, from anywhere with access to the Internet. Typically, students access coursework via an interface such as Blackboard. This forum allows peer interaction, materials acquisition and assignment submission through one unified site.
Online bachelor's degree programs for speech pathology can be used as a platform to pursue graduate-level degrees in this field, which are required for licensure and most professional options. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov), a master's degree is usually required to become a speech language pathologist.
Opportunities could be found with K-12 schools, nursing homes, home health care services and private practices. Some job positions for those with a bachelor's degree include:
- Speech language pathology assistant
- Entry-level speech therapist or counselor
- Hearing assistive technology specialist
Related to Bachelor Degree in Online Pathology Speech
- Recently Updated
Learn about the prerequisites, courses and hands-on experience that are part of a master's degree program in speech pathology....
Students interested in studying speech pathology have many good schools to choose from. Read about rankings and programs found...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a speech pathology assistant. Get a quick view of the requirements...
Speech pathology is an area of communications expertise that covers the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of individuals with...
- Online Speech Pathology Degrees by Program Level
- Online Speech Pathology Courses and Training Program Information
- Associates Degree in Speech Pathology: Program Info
- Top College in Virginia Beach for HVAC Technician Training
- Top School in Newport News, VA, for an Information Systems Security Degree
- Top School in Salt Lake City for a Finance Degree
- Psychology Degree: Top Ranked School for Psychology Degrees - Tampa, FL