Bachelor of Health Science Online Degree Program Overviews
Some Bachelor of Health Science (B.H.Sc.) degrees focus on areas such as legal principles of healthcare and health information systems. Others concentrate on areas such as respiratory therapy or medical imaging. All online programs enable healthcare professionals to advance their careers. In some cases the program entails the acquisition of more advanced clinical skills, while in other cases the degree provides the necessary instruction for a move into management.
Bachelor of Health Science: Online Degree
Virtually all online Bachelor of Health Science plans are degree-completion programs. Admission requirements for an online B.H.Sc. program may vary with the university or the concentration. In general, applicants must hold an associate's degree in a health-related field from an accredited institution. Depending on the desired area of study, a diploma, certificate or documented evidence and student-prepared portfolio--attesting to an individual's health care education and work experience within the past five years--may suffice for admission to the program.
This pre-requisite policy is designed to take care of any clinical or practical requirements of the degree, so that the remaining courses may be completed entirely online via the Internet, use of Web pages, e-mail, bulletin boards, chat rooms, electronic classrooms or a combination thereof.
Bachelor of Health Science Coursework
Core online courses in most Bachelor of Health Science programs include topics such as:
- Leadership in the health sciences
- Conflict resolution
- Health policy
- Professional writing
Bachelor of Health Sciences in Respiratory Therapy
This program is geared specifically toward individuals who have been credentialed by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) as a Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRT). Courses include such topics as philosophy and techniques of respiratory therapy, effects of bioterrorism on healthcare, community health, respiratory care for children, pulmonary rehabilitation, administration and ethics. Additional clinical experience may be required by the administrating body on an individual basis, or requested by a student to brush-up on certain skills.
Bachelor of Health Science in Health Services Administration
Courses in this program include legal and regulatory issues in healthcare, advances and implementation of healthcare technologies, management and supervision in healthcare facilities, healthcare policies, healthcare finances, health information systems and organizational behavior. Graduates are prepared for administrative roles, often in positions of leadership or staff advisory.
Bachelor of Health Science in Medical Imaging
Individuals seeking a degree in medical imaging typically have the option of refining it further by pursuing an online certificate in one of the following fields:
- Computed Tomography (CT) - This course may lead to CT certification. Open only to individuals who have been certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board, the program offers training in CT physics, cross-sectional anatomy, CT protocols and CT pathology.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Students in this program learn to utilize ultrasound and receive a certificate in one or more of the fields of cardiac, vascular or general sonography.
- Radiation Therapy - Open to registered radiation therapists, this program offers training in simulation, dosimetry and treatment planning. Candidates learn the administration of therapeutic radiation to cancer patients.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) - Individuals registered in radiography, nuclear medicine technology, radiation therapy or sonography are eligible to receive training as an MR technologist. MR technologists generate images by way of the application of magnetic fields and radio waves on body tissues.
Related to Bachelor of Health Science Online Degree
- Recently Updated
A health science program provides interdisciplinary study of the healthcare industry. The most common graduate degree...
A bachelor's degree in health sciences is open to current and aspiring healthcare professionals. Students learn...
Health science is a broad field that involves the study and research of multiple aspects of health and healthcare....
The Doctor of Health Science (D.H.Sc.) is a post-master's degree designed for people working in a variety of health...
- Master of Science (MS): Public Health Degree Overview
- Master of Science (MS): Natural Health Degree Overview
- Master of Science (MS): Health Administration Degree Overview
- Top Ranked University for Computer Engineering and Electronics - Columbus, OH
- Top Ranked Networking Degree Program - Philadelphia, PA
- Top Graduate School for a Human Resource Management Degree - Columbus, OH
- Top University with a Computer Engineering Degree - Phoenix, AZ