Barber Schools in Virginia with Program Descriptions
Research barbering classes in Virginia, which currently has three schools offering acceptable programs. Read an overview of courses, tuition info and program options for these schools to decide which program is right for you.
Virginia only has one public college that offers a barbering program. There are, however, two for-profit private schools with barbering programs that have been approved by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences. The three schools profiled in this article administer coursework that is structured around hands-on experience and traditional classroom lecture.
To become a barber in Virginia, students must complete an approved barber training program and pass the Virginia Board for Barbers and Cosmetology examination. Read on for details about several barber colleges in Virginia, which are designed to prepare students to obtain their barbering license.
Southside Virginia Community College
Located in Alberta, Southside Virginia Community College offers students a certificate program in cosmetology and barbering. The program is worth 17 total credit hours and can teach students about small business management, as well as cosmetology skills. Three separate courses are offered in cosmetology theory, each worth three credits. The theory courses cover multiple barbering skills, including hair cutting, permanent waving and hair coloring. To be eligible for a barbering license, however, students must complete additional on-the-job training outside of the coursework.
- Program Offered: Certificate of Career Studies in Cosmetology and Barbering
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $3,810 (in-state); $9,573 (out-of-state)*
- School Type & Setting: 2-year, public; rural
Virginia School of Hair Design
Virginia School of Hair Design in Hampton offers a 1,500-hour program in barbering that can prepare students to take the barber licensure exam. Students learn through both classroom activities and hands-on experience. Instruction on shampooing, shaving and hair cutting is included. Students also study salon business, all in preparation for a final mock state exam.
- Program Offered: Barbering Program
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $9,000*
- School Type & Setting: < 2-year, private for-profit; midsized city
Wards Corner Beauty Academy
Situated in Norfolk, Wards Corner Beauty Academy offers daytime and evening classes for students interested in preparing for a barbering license. Students are able to gain hands-on experience by performing a variety of services, including treatments, perms and hair coloring on clientele. Licensed instructors supervise all student work throughout the program.
- Program Offered: Barbering Program
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $18,000*
- School Type & Setting: < 2-year, private for-profit; large city
School Comparison: At a Glance
|School Name||School Type and Setting||Barber Programs Offered||Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)|
|Southside Virginia Community College||2-year, public; rural||Certificate of Career Studies in Cosmetology and Barbering||$3,810 (in-state); $9,573 (out-of-state)*|
|Virginia School of Hair Design||< 2-year, private for-profit; midsized city||Barbering Program||$9,000*|
|Wards Corner Beauty Academy||< 2-year, private for-profit; large city||Barbering Program||$18,000*|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Related to Barber School Virginia
- Recently Updated
Students interested in becoming a barber or cosmetologist need to meet educational and licensing requirements. Schools for...
Barbers and cosmetologists work closely with hair, but cosmetologists provide additional beauty treatments. Both professionals...
Learn how to become a licensed barber. Research the job description and the education and licensing requirements to find out...
Barbers are licensed professionals who cut their clients' hair. They may also follow hair styling trends and give hair styling...
- Become a Master Barber: Education and Career Roadmap
- Online Barber Courses, Classes and Training Programs
- Barber Continuing Education Programs: An Overview
- Best Sports Journalism Programs: List of Top Schools
- Chemical Physics Degree Program Information
- Sales Management Degree and Training Program Information
- Electronics Engineering Technology Degree Program Information
Perfect School Search
- A - C
- D - N
- N - W
- Nearby States