Be a Fitness Teacher: Course and Degree Program Requirements
Learn how to become a fitness teacher. Research the education and career requirements, certification and experience required for starting a career as a fitness teacher.
Do I Want to Be a Fitness Teacher?
Also called instructors or trainers, these teachers lead and instruct those who are interested in improving their physical conditioning and getting into better shape. Clients may include individuals of all ages and conditioning levels, and these teachers may focus on strength training, stretching, cardiovascular exercise or a combination of all three. In addition to creating fitness plans, they show clients how to perform exercises and monitor their progress, making this an often physically challenging profession.
While a high school diploma is the minimum education requirement to work as a fitness teacher or instructor, earning an associate's or bachelor's degree in an area such as exercise science, kinesiology, or physical education may give job applicants the edge. Employers may also prefer that fitness professionals earn certification in the field. The table below includes the requirements to become a fitness teacher.
|Degree Level||High school diploma|
|Certification||Voluntary; certification for fitness professionals is available through a number of organizations|
|Experience||A background in fitness and being in shape are important|
|Key Skills||In addition to being physically fit, fitness teachers and instructors must have strong communication skills and be detail-oriented|
Sources: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS); **Monster.com job postings (September 2012)'
Step 1: Graduate From High School
Employers prefer to hire fitness trainers and instructors who have at least graduated from high school. While in high school, students can take courses in health and physical education to prepare for a career in the field. Additionally, taking science-related courses prepares students for postsecondary education.
Step 2: Consider a Postsecondary Program
Whether it's an associate's or bachelor's degree, prospective fitness teachers can enroll in programs entitled exercise science or kinesiology. In addition to classes involving fitness and strength training, students learn about the human anatomy, nutrition, human development and exercise science. Earning a degree in the field may prepare graduates for certification examinations as well.
- Focus on a specific fitness area. Fitness programs can focus on specialties such as group exercise, Pilates, yoga, personal training and kickboxing. Learning to teach a specific program may enhance employment opportunities, as gyms and fitness centers look for classes that cater to different types of members.
Step 3: Obtain Fitness Certifications
Fitness certification is available from several different organizations. The Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) offers many accredited fitness certification programs. The association's personal fitness trainer certification program gives in-depth instruction on the duties and responsibilities of a personal trainer and prepares students for the Personal Fitness Trainer National Board exam. The AFAA also offers certification programs in group exercise, step aerobics and kickboxing.
The National Association for Fitness Certification offers certifications in personal training, health and wellness, group fitness and wellness consultation. Aspiring fitness instructors learn how to assess the fitness level of clients, design fitness plans to meet client goals and educate clients on weight management and nutrition.
Related to Fitness Teacher Courses
- Recently Updated
Aside from career and salary information, read ahead to find out what training is required for fitness teachers. Careers...
The training to become a Pilates teacher may occur through basic and advanced certificate programs. Below, you can read about...
Washington, D.C.'s new teacher evaluation system IMPACT has made its results felt across the district, letting go of hundreds...
It's Teacher Appreciation Week! Do you want to show your favorite teacher how grateful you are for him or her? Here are some...
- How to Become a Highly Qualified Teacher
- How to Become a TOEFL Teacher
- Fitness Certifications and Certificate Programs with Career Info
- Top Ranked Graphic Design and Multimedia School - Santa Ana, CA
- Medical Front Desk Coordinator: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Psychology Degree: Top Ranked Psychology Program - Santa Ana, CA
- Best Degree Programs for Hospitality Management - Honolulu, HI
- Professional Sport Management Professions Career Information for the Professional Sports MGMT Professions
- Nutrition Graduate Schools
- Computer Installation Technician Career Information for Students Interested in Installing Computer Software and Components
- Master in Health Sciences International Health Degree Overview